View Full Version : Can Knoppix Live CD have a login screen?
lowhweekiat
10-13-2007, 08:12 AM
How can you remaster Knoppix into a Live CD with a login screen to prompt users to enter their username and password?
mickru
11-20-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi,
today I tried my first remastering project using Knoppix 5.1.1 I guess something went wrong, because I ended up with exactly that. I ended up at a login screen of KDE with the user knoppix as the only available choice.
The problem I then had, was that there was no way to logon, since the knoppix account doesn't have a password assigned to it, and the kdm login screen apparently requires a password.
I still have to figure out what went wrong... not sure... must be something with the /etc/skel for the knoppix user.
I then thought no problem... I simply boot into command line mode (level 3) but there was no way to get a command shell... I always ended up at the KDM login prompt.
My point is, it seems that you can get a login prompt with Knoppix - even so it may just have been by mistake ;-) but that's not what you were looking for right? ;-)
Hi,
today I tried my first remastering project using Knoppix 5.1.1 I guess something went wrong, because I ended up with exactly that. I ended up at a login screen of KDE with the user knoppix as the only available choice.
The problem I then had, was that there was no way to logon, since the knoppix account doesn't have a password assigned to it, and the kdm login screen apparently requires a password.
I still have to figure out what went wrong... not sure... must be something with the /etc/skel for the knoppix user.
I then thought no problem... I simply boot into command line mode (level 3) but there was no way to get a command shell... I always ended up at the KDM login prompt.
My point is, it seems that you can get a login prompt with Knoppix - even so it may just have been by mistake ;-) but that's not what you were looking for right? ;-)
Just delete /etc/init.d/xsession file which calls /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession and you end up with kdm login :)
You can give or change password to knoppix user in virtual terminal (vt1-vt4) by typing passwd knoppix. You can go to virtual teminal e.g. to vt2 by Ctrl-Alt-F2. Come back to graphical teminal by Alt-F5.
You can also add more users by adduser name_of_new_user.
-tapsa-
tsfftf
12-02-2007, 11:36 PM
hi. i tried your suggestion of deleting xsession but this did not work for me. are you sure this is the way to do it? maybe i have done something else at the same time that has prevented it from working?
i changed inittab to kdm start instead of xsession start... that's right isn't it? please get back to me about this, i really want to get this feature included in my remaster. In the forums there are lots of people that want this, and PCLinuxOS and MEPIS both offer this. Perhaps something should be included in the Wiki about this.
please help with this!
i changed inittab to kdm start instead of xsession start... that's right isn't it? please get back to me about this, i really want to get this feature included in my remaster. In the forums there are lots of people that want this, and PCLinuxOS and MEPIS both offer this. Perhaps something should be included in the Wiki about this.
Sorry, I didn't remembet that right. Deleting /etc/init.d/xsession gives you:
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/xsession"
That file in not in Debian but is needed for starting X in Knoppix live CD.
But your problem, I'm not sure what needs to be changed. I think that you must delete /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession but after that you get kpersonalizer run, not login screen. Sorry, I thaught I had tested this but I had not :( I try to investigate what should be done but I need some time for that.
But at least this works:
1. Delete 45xsession
2. add 'kdm start' to knoppix-autoconfig
I added it to the end just before '#Re-enable signals'
-tapsa-
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.