PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to set up wireless using Ndiswrapper



dutchcreek
10-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I have a Belkin F5D7010 PCMIA card that i'm trying to set up using Ndiswrapper but i'm not sure how.

Bert

chip.ling
10-31-2007, 02:20 AM
I have a Belkin F5D7010 PCMIA card that i'm trying to set up using Ndiswrapper but i'm not sure how.

Bert

Go to the following link and check out the FAQ 2 & 3

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Network_FAQ

Good luck and have fun

Rgds,
Chip

dutchcreek
10-31-2007, 01:56 PM
Well, this is how far I got, let me know what else I can try.

dsl@box:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i net8185.inf
Installing net8185
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
net8185 driver installed
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -d 1799:701f net8185
Driver 'net8185' is used for '1799:701f'
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
dsl@box:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper
dsl@box:~$ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper 171708 0
usbcore 58016 1 [ndiswrapper hid usb-storage usb-ohci]
dsl@box:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

etho no wireless extensions.
dsl@box:~$


Bert[/code]

chip.ling
11-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Well, this is how far I got, let me know what else I can try.

dsl@box:~$ sudo ndiswrapper -i net8185.inf
Installing net8185
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
Installed drivers:
net8185 driver installed
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -d 1799:701f net8185
Driver 'net8185' is used for '1799:701f'
dsl@box:~$ ndiswrapper -l
dsl@box:~$ modprobe ndiswrapper
dsl@box:~$ lsmod | grep ndiswrapper
ndiswrapper 171708 0
usbcore 58016 1 [ndiswrapper hid usb-storage usb-ohci]
dsl@box:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

etho no wireless extensions.
dsl@box:~$


Bert[/code]

Don't sound good to me. However, I believe you are using dsl instead. Not knoppix, is that true?

I think I tested DSL 3.3 on my laptop before and I don't remember the result. I need to find an environment to test for it again. I'm recently on a trip and it is very hard to find an environment that I can have total control.

One more question, your machine only have wireless network card and do not have wired network card? I only see the lo and the eth0 shown up in your output.

Rgds,
Chip

dutchcreek
11-01-2007, 03:11 PM
Yes, i'm using dsl but didn't get any help in the dsl forums that's why I came here. I have wired internet but this is a laptop so I don't want to have to hook up a cable all the time. My Belkin Card (F5D7010) works fine in Ubuntu, PClinux, Puppy linux etc.

Bert

chip.ling
11-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Yes, i'm using dsl but didn't get any help in the dsl forums that's why I came here. I have wired internet but this is a laptop so I don't want to have to hook up a cable all the time. My Belkin Card (F5D7010) works fine in Ubuntu, PClinux, Puppy linux etc.

Bert

With the info you posted, obviously dsl did not find the wireless adapter (eth0 is your wired adapter). If the ndiswrapper is successfully installed, you should have a wlan0 or a eth1 on the iwconfig listing.

I went to ndiswrapper official web site and check for the known card that ndiswrapper supports. Unfortunately, it does not have any record on your model.

http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net

I tested my laptop (Dell D610) on DSL 3.3 and it is working fine. The windows driver I'm using is for windows xp. Are u using windows XP driver as well?

Rgds,
Chip

dutchcreek
11-04-2007, 03:38 AM
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_b/

Number 38 is my card and i'm using the rtl8185 Windows drivers. This card works fine in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux using Ndiswrapper, it does not work in dsl linux for some reason ?

Bert

chip.ling
11-04-2007, 04:28 AM
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/joomla/index.php?/component/option,com_openwiki/Itemid,33/id,list_b/

Number 38 is my card and i'm using the rtl8185 Windows drivers. This card works fine in Ubuntu, PClinuxOS and Puppy Linux using Ndiswrapper, it does not work in dsl linux for some reason ?

Bert

It could be the kernel that DSL is using. I believe the version I have is using kernel 2.4.

Rgds,
Chip