View Full Version : Remastering Knoppix 5.11 cannot modify or change KDE menu
hal8000
12-16-2007, 10:46 PM
I've run into the same proplem as people reamstering earlier knoppix versions e.g 3.7
I can remaster the CD, add software change kde background, but the KDE menu, or even
adding files or shortcuts to the desktop and home folder (knoppix) refuse to change.
/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession is overo 800 lines in Knoppix 5.11 and I'm not great
at shell programming
I cannot find where the k menu configuration is controlled from either.
I need to add a new folder containing links to shell scripts, this would be nice to include on the
KDE menu, or kicker or desktop so thanks in advance for any help.
hal8000
12-18-2007, 09:55 PM
Partial success!
Modifying line 80 of /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession to include .config skips regenereation of the KDE menu. However not all
of my changes have been saved. Here is line 80 .config is included in the list {}
rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/{.config,.acrorc,.Xdefaults,.gimp*,.gconf*,.bashrc ,.nessus*,.links,.local,.lynx*,.qt,.xine,.xmms,tmp } $HOME/ 2>/dev/null
Investigation is continuing
Are you making your changes to the /home/knoppix directory?
If so - copy them to /etc/skel before creating the ISO.
The stuff in /etc/skel is copied over the home directory by the rsync command you quoted, so changes to /home/knoppix are lost.
hal8000
12-29-2007, 12:16 AM
Ok, Ive now remastered 5.11, with kde menus, colours and icons altered.
I followed the procedure in the wiki:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto
In section 2.6 , at step 6 I deviated from these instructions:
6. Copy /home/knoppix back to /etc/skel to keep the changes
*
mv /etc/skel /etc/skel-old
mv /home/knoppix /etc/skel
1. Set the owner back to root
*
chown root:root -R /etc/skel
This is my modified procedure:
I used the rsync command to synchronise all changes in /home/knoppix to /etc/skel with the following commands.
Exit chroot, then as root
rsync -a /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix/ /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/skel/
chown root:root -R /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/etc/skel/
rm -rf /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX/home/knoppix
(The /home/knoppix is created from the /etc/skel script which is why knoppix/ is deleted in the above command)
continue with the rest of the wiki procedure.
I have no idea why the wiki procedure failed for me, but the rsync command works and I am happy.
:D
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.