PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix Live DVD 5.1.1 hangs with Toshiba Laptop



zillah
12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
Me and my friend , we have downloaded knoppix DVD 5.1.1 on two different PCs (i.e. we have two different DVD copies, they have got right MD), and on two different times, he told DVD is working fine on his Desktop PC, but when I used these two DVD on my Toshiba Laptop Satellite A100-785, it hangs on :


Excuting /etc/init.d / x session start:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sarting single-X-window session for User knoppix.
Please stand by a few second while the optimal configuration is being determined
After this session terminates, the system will automatically shut down
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
probing/loading AGP modules---

If I hit enter the below prompt is presented "

root!tty1:/#

And when I typed in : startx,,,,The process of booting continues till the end.

Is this what suppose to be ?

I found similar thread here :
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/knoppix-help-forum/99128-knoppix-boot-problems.html

martinveasey
02-17-2008, 07:01 PM
I also have a Toshiba laptop. Many laptops have non-standard hardware that isn't easily picked up by the standard Knoppix / Linux load processes.

A simple web search may help you, however try this:

When you get the initial graphic boot screen with the prompt at the bottom, try typing:

knoppix nopcmcia noapic noapm

There's a good chance that this will get you started - it did for me. There are a whole bunch of other boot-time hardware switches that you can try if needed too:

nodma nomce nofirewire noscsi noswap nosmp noaudio etc

martinveasey
02-18-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm now finding that

"knoppix acpi=off"

suffices to get my Toshiba M40X to run the latest flavour (Knoppix 5.1.1) though also using "nopcmcia" does speed the boot up process.

Martin