Log in

View Full Version : Mounting HardDrive (Windows Folder?)



ProjectW
02-06-2008, 12:17 AM
Hey guys i need a bit of help here..
I just booted knoppix from my USB (Kingston 2GB). The version is I think 5.1.1 or something.
What i want i so be able to do is access my Windows folder. I checked in all the icons on my desktop and I can't find windows folder there.

Here is what I have on my desktop:
-Floppy
-Hard Disk [sda1]
-Hard Disk [sdb1]
-KNOPPIX
-Trash

I really need to fingure this out, ultimately I want to get a hold of SAM file in system32.

Thank you

ProjectW
02-06-2008, 12:27 AM
Also, i have only one hard drive on my computer, on which Windows is installed. Its 200GB and I think it is SATA (not sure...).

hal8000
02-07-2008, 11:33 AM
You wont get a drive icon called "windows" on the desktop, what you will see is the actual drive,
in your case you are shown /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1

This means that you have two SATA drives sda1 and sdb1 or possibly another memory stick.

Click on the drives, they will open and display contents, you will be able to see the contents of the drive and find your windows drive.


To be certain from a terminal post the output of

fdisk -l

(last character l as in "long")

SAM files in windows are in /WINDOWS/system32/config//SAM for XP
or /Windows/system32/config/SAM for Vista, there is a spelling change in Vista.
If you want to change passwords install chntpw