RobertM525
02-16-2008, 07:46 AM
I own a Maxtor OneTouch 4 Mini that came with a SafetyDrill bootable CD that, apparently, contains Knoppix. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea how to use Linux so I'm completely lost.
Here's the situation: my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1132279&rpn=PSM50U&ct=DS&soid=1160675&BV_SessionID=@@@@0796358075.1203139886@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadedfhggfmicgfkceghdgngdgmm.0), isn't able to boot into Windows XP. I think the XP install is toast (won't stop rebooting when it tries to launch Windows), but that's completely besides the point.
What I want to do is copy files from her C-drive to the external hard drive (which is USB). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this.
I did find this FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ), but, unfortunately, I'm getting stuck on an error message when trying to access the hard drive.
In Konqueror under "Storage Media" I see a list of three things: "OneTouch4 Mini", "SQ003928" (which is her C-drive), and "SafetyDrill" (which is, I assume, the CD it's running off of).
If I try to click on SQ003928, I get this error message:
Error - Konqueror
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
The device /dev/sda1, is mounted.
Forced to continue.
Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1' : Operation not supported
Windows did not shut down properly. Try to mount volume in windows, shut down and try again.
Mount failed.
If I click on "OneTouch4 Mini" I get a similar error message:
Error - Konqueror
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
The device /dev/sdb1, is mounted.
Forced to continue.
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
fuse_mount failed.
Unmounting /dev/sdb1 (OneTouch4 Mini)
Anything I can do? Would making a DVD of Knoppix 5.1 help? Because I'm downloading it right now, just in case.
Thanks! My wife is dying without her computer. :)
Here's the situation: my wife's laptop, a Toshiba Satellite M55-S3292 (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_outFrm.jsp?moid=1132279&rpn=PSM50U&ct=DS&soid=1160675&BV_SessionID=@@@@0796358075.1203139886@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadedfhggfmicgfkceghdgngdgmm.0), isn't able to boot into Windows XP. I think the XP install is toast (won't stop rebooting when it tries to launch Windows), but that's completely besides the point.
What I want to do is copy files from her C-drive to the external hard drive (which is USB). Unfortunately, I have no idea how to do this.
I did find this FAQ (http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Using_FAQ), but, unfortunately, I'm getting stuck on an error message when trying to access the hard drive.
In Konqueror under "Storage Media" I see a list of three things: "OneTouch4 Mini", "SQ003928" (which is her C-drive), and "SafetyDrill" (which is, I assume, the CD it's running off of).
If I try to click on SQ003928, I get this error message:
Error - Konqueror
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
The device /dev/sda1, is mounted.
Forced to continue.
Couldn't mount device '/dev/sda1' : Operation not supported
Windows did not shut down properly. Try to mount volume in windows, shut down and try again.
Mount failed.
If I click on "OneTouch4 Mini" I get a similar error message:
Error - Konqueror
Could not mount device.
The reported error was:
The device /dev/sdb1, is mounted.
Forced to continue.
fusermount: mountpoint is not empty
fusermount: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
fuse_mount failed.
Unmounting /dev/sdb1 (OneTouch4 Mini)
Anything I can do? Would making a DVD of Knoppix 5.1 help? Because I'm downloading it right now, just in case.
Thanks! My wife is dying without her computer. :)