howellerx
02-17-2008, 02:57 AM
This is likely largely my fault.
A friends computer crapped out, and he had two hard drives, one with his OS (windows XP) and one larger one with his music and media on it.
It looked like an over infestation of spyware, so i figured that a reformat and reinstall of windows would work best. He had some files on that hard drive though, so i booted up knoppix to transfer over the files to the hard drive that wasn't going to be formated.
I right clicked the icon on the desktop, turned on the write support, and then copied the files i needed off of the first hard drive onto the second.
After I installed the fresh windows install, it won't recognize the second hard drive that I wrote to. All the programs that I have found say it is blank with no file system. Even when I boot into knoppix it says the hard drive is blank.
I have a feeling that i missed a vital step or messed something up in the partition tables for the disk, anyone have any idea's on how to recover the data? I'm willing to try anything at this point... I really don't want to tell my friend that I deleted all his music. :/
I'm not sure what kind of logs or errors i can give you to help, but I'll give anything you ask for to help troubleshooting..
A friends computer crapped out, and he had two hard drives, one with his OS (windows XP) and one larger one with his music and media on it.
It looked like an over infestation of spyware, so i figured that a reformat and reinstall of windows would work best. He had some files on that hard drive though, so i booted up knoppix to transfer over the files to the hard drive that wasn't going to be formated.
I right clicked the icon on the desktop, turned on the write support, and then copied the files i needed off of the first hard drive onto the second.
After I installed the fresh windows install, it won't recognize the second hard drive that I wrote to. All the programs that I have found say it is blank with no file system. Even when I boot into knoppix it says the hard drive is blank.
I have a feeling that i missed a vital step or messed something up in the partition tables for the disk, anyone have any idea's on how to recover the data? I'm willing to try anything at this point... I really don't want to tell my friend that I deleted all his music. :/
I'm not sure what kind of logs or errors i can give you to help, but I'll give anything you ask for to help troubleshooting..