PDA

View Full Version : where has more information about DVD 5.3.1 remastering?



winson
06-30-2008, 05:21 AM
I've downloaded the KNOPPIX DVD 5.3.1, and would like to remastering on it, but there are a few different in between 5.1 and 5.3

in 5.3, there is no /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file for me to modify.

and when I try to change the startup script text, I goto mount /master/boot/isolinux/minirt file,
this file was gunzip from /master/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
but it is not muntable, it has some script included in that minirt file,
this is what I did
# mount -t ext2 -o loop minirt todelete
but it says wrong fs type.

I've looked at the knoppix wiki page in the knoppix remastering howto, it seems still base on the 5.1 version.

anyone got any ideas? or where can get more detail about this? or when will the knoppix wiki site be updated?

many thanks,
Winson

Nix
08-02-2008, 10:57 AM
The filesystem seems to be now ramfs, not ext2. Try this.

edit: Sorry, doesnt work either. Seems to get mounted without errormessages, but then the mounted filesystem seems to be empty

Nix

el_supremo
09-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I've made a bootable 5.3.1 on an 8GB USB key. It starts to boot up but then drops into the shell because it can't find a Knoppix filesystem. I'm pretty sure all I need to do is modify linuxrc in minirt.gz but I also have the problem that I can't get mount to work with the minirt file. I've tried all sorts of variations of mounting it as loop, cloop with different filesystem types and I also tried copying minirt to /dev/ram (with dd) and then trying to mount that but nothing works.
Has anyone figured out a solution for this?

Thanks
Pete

tpat
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
After copying minirt.gz to a temp directory, execute the following:


zcat minirt.gz | cpio --extract --no-absolute-filenames

el_supremo
09-18-2008, 08:53 PM
Thanks for the tip. That works, but I was trying to mount the minirt file in the same way as I had been able to do with previous versions of Knoppix.
With the 5.1.1 CD version I can do this:
cp /cdrom/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz .
gunzip minirt.gz
mkdir mrt
sudo mount -o loop minirt mrt

and then I can access the file structure in the mrt directory.

But if I do the equivalent thing with the 5.3.1 DVD I can't mount the minirt file.

Even though the zcat/cpio commands undo the file, the 5.3.1 version seems to have a different structure or format than that of 5.1.1.
If I do an octal dump of the first 64 bytes of the 5.1.1 minirt I get this:
0000000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000 000
\0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0 \0

Just plain null characters.

but 5.3.1 minirt looks like this:
0000000 060 067 060 067 060 061 060 060 060 060 060 062 104 061 060 060
0 7 0 7 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 2 D 1 0 0
0000020 060 060 064 061 105 104 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060
0 0 4 1 E D 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0000040 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 062 064 067
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 4 7
0000060 105 101 061 065 065 063 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060 060
E A 1 5 5 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Lots of ASCII characters!

Anyone know how to mount the 5.3.1 minirt?

BTW. I solved the problem of getting my USB key to boot with the 5.3.1 DVD version. I made a mistake in copying one of the commands in the USB key wiki. Once I fixed that it all worked great and I now have the 5.3.1 DVD and a 2GB persistent home on the 8GB USB key.

Pete

tpat
09-25-2008, 09:47 PM
You can't mount a cpio archive. Knoppix version 5.3.1 uses initramfs instead of initrd. It's a lot easier to work with:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Initramfs#Initramfs_in_comparison_with_initrd

tpat
09-25-2008, 09:55 PM
It's easy to create an initramfs archive. Change directories to where the extracted file are and issue the following:


find . | cpio -H newc -o > /tmp/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.cpio && cat /tmp/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.cpio | gzip > /tftpboot/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.gz

If you wish to revert back to an initrd image, then you could always use dd to create an image, format the image (mke2fs), mount it, and then copy the extracted files over the the mounted image.

el_supremo
09-26-2008, 01:26 AM
Thanks very much for that info tpat. That explains why I can't get the thing to work like it used to :-)
I've got some reading to do and then I can play around with the minirt.gz again.

Pete

cvevans
11-01-2008, 08:00 AM
It's easy to create an initramfs archive. Change directories to where the extracted file are and issue the following:


find . | cpio -H newc -o > /tmp/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.cpio && cat /tmp/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.cpio | gzip > /tftpboot/knoppix-initramfs-2.6.24.4.gz

If you wish to revert back to an initrd image, then you could always use dd to create an image, format the image (mke2fs), mount it, and then copy the extracted files over the the mounted image.

Will a K5.3.1 remaster boot with an ext2 minirt.gz?
can one just replace the minirt.gz?
That's what I want...

hal8000
01-02-2009, 12:03 AM
After copying minirt.gz to a temp directory, execute the following:


zcat minirt.gz | cpio --extract --no-absolute-filenames


Can anyone tell me how to recompress the minirt acrchive in knoppix 5.3.1 ?

Also, it appears that default language is set in the file linuxrc in the expanded minirt and
there appears to be an abcense of the files that were common in knoppix 5.1.1.
Thanks in advance

wangji
01-02-2009, 01:31 PM
After copying minirt.gz to a temp directory, execute the following:


zcat minirt.gz | cpio --extract --no-absolute-filenames


Can anyone tell me how to recompress the minirt acrchive in knoppix 5.3.1 ?

Also, it appears that default language is set in the file linuxrc in the expanded minirt and
there appears to be an abcense of the files that were common in knoppix 5.1.1.
Thanks in advance

find . | cpio --quiet -o -H newc | gzip -9 > ../minirt.gz
dot is the directory where you have expanded the initramfs