PDA

View Full Version : boot errors on remastered knoppix



lytithwyn
09-30-2008, 08:29 PM
The past few days, I've been reading up on knoppix remastering. Today, I tried my hand for the first time. I tried to follow the guide step by step, but I've obviously made a mistake. When I boot my new iso with virtualbox using the line "knoppix 2", I get:


Creating unified filesystem and symlinks on ramdisk...aufs test_add:368:mount[1291]: different uid/gid/permission, /KNOPPIX
>> Read-only CD system successfully merged with read-write /ramdisk
Done.
Starting init process.
INIT version 2.86 booting
#: bad interpreter: No such file or directoryfig: /bin/bash
Setting the system clock.
System clock set to: Tue Sep 30 14:53:20 CEST 2008.
Setting the system clock.
System clock set to: Tue Sep 30 14:53:21 CEST 2008.
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2

I don't know where to even begin to look for the error. It seems the new packages I installed are present, and I double checked to make sure /bin/bash DOES exist. In fact, if I login in to the console, I can do /bin/bash, and it gives me a nested prompt.

When I built the image, my working directory was /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/, and I had subdirectories called source and master, just like the guide suggests. To build my KNOPPIX file, I used:


mkisofs -R -U -V "KNOPPIX" -publisher "username" -hide-rr-moved -cache-inodes -no-bak -pad ./ | nice -n 5 ./usr/bin/create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/master/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

Then, to make the image file, I used:


mkisofs -pad -l -r -J -v -V "KNOPPIX" -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 \
-boot-info-table -b boot/isolinux/isolinux.bin -c boot/isolinux/boot.cat \
-hide-rr-moved -o /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/knoppix.iso /home/lytithwyn/cdimages/remaster/master

hal8000
11-29-2008, 03:57 PM
You've probably solved this by now as it was posted some weeks ago, but this reply may help someone in the future.
If remastering, always post the howto you are using.

I have successfully remastered knoppix 5.1.1 in the past, added software changed kde menues following this howto:

http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Remastering_Howto

lytithwyn
11-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I used that same guide. I ran out of time to work on it for a while, but I think I know what went wrong. I was trying to get mono working, which upgraded a LOT of stuff, including glibc. I think some of these package upgrades were breaking it, as ALL the guides I've read warned against upgrading large numbers of packages.

It's not that big of a deal, since I was the one who wrote the program I needed mono for, and it was very small. I just ported it to c++, and when I get a chance I'll go back and try remastering.

Thanks for the reply, though!

hal8000
11-30-2008, 07:39 PM
I also run into the same problem intrying to update to kde 3.5.9 as some dependency wants to update glibc, which breaks the distro. However for a live distro kde3.5.5 is ok and I will stick at this version.

lytithwyn
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
It's encouraging that you had the same problem. That tells me I shouldn't have any more issues when I get a chance to go back and merge in my binaries now that I'm not upgrading anything.

Thanks!