View Full Version : How would I upgrade Gaim to the latest version?
reub2000
06-03-2003, 10:21 PM
How would I do that?
kaplanfx
06-03-2003, 10:47 PM
Go to gaim.sourceforge.net and read about how to install cvs, I think they have nightly updates, and you can rebuild to the newest version any time you want. You might want to apt-get remove gaim before you mess with the cvs, also you should be familiar with cvs and compiling source to do this. If you decide not to use cvs you can still get the newest source and binaries from the page (I think cvs is undergoing major changes now) or you could always just try apt-get install gaim after you've removed it you may get a newer version but you'll probably lose your settings.
reub2000
06-03-2003, 11:02 PM
I didn't mean the altest develpmental release. I did try apt-get remmove gaim, the apt-get install gaim, but I got a dependecy(sp?) .
Also, with the settining, it's setting are erased when shutting down, so
What binnary form does debian use?
kaplanfx
06-03-2003, 11:28 PM
you are going to have to compile from source unless there is a current binary in your apt cache, try this do an apt-get update then an apt-cache showpkg gaim look at the top and it should tell you what versions are avialable on the repositories in you apt.sources list. I you see .64 you should be able to get the newest version. If not I would recommend compiling from source, I have compiled gaim before and its pretty simple and quick. Either way .64 is the newest version so if you can't find a .deb package (these are debians package, sourceforge only provides .rpm for gaim it seems) then you will need to compile it, but it seems here that ftp.debian.org has the newest ver so apt-get install gaim should work (It worked for me, im using .64 but I also did an apt-get dist-upgrade so I may be running newer libs)
Ghandalfar
06-04-2003, 07:06 AM
yep it's in unstable ..
[2003-05-31] Accepted gaim 1:0.64-2 (i386 source)
just do:
apt-get install gaim/unstable (on a rw knoppix ofcourse) :)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.