View Full Version : Kernel update Knoppix 5.3.1 DVD
Marge
11-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Hello, I want to remaster knoppix to have gnome 2.28 as desktop.
I managed to install gnome 2.28, as i written here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30217
Now, Udev gives one error, and as i searched on google, I must update kernel. The 2.6.30 kernel does not have this problem.
I tryed as this link says http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/kernel2.6.htm but when I try to
make-kpkg clean I get an error. I tryed also
make clean, another error...
Can someone help me please? With problem of installing gnome, I tryed more than 70 times (in vmvare -copied image over and over until I managed to make it) different configurations and commands, but here, there is only one command and it does not work.
So, How can I update the kernel?
Marge
11-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Ok, here we go again... :)
I managed somehow after googeling on the internet to do the following:
I followed the steps from my last post http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30217 until
apt-get install dpkg (inclusive)
after that, I followed the instructions from http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/kernel2.6.htm
apt-get install kernel-package libncurses5-dev fakeroot wget bzip2(I replaced ncurses-dev with libncurses5-dev)
wget http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.31.6.tar.bz2From this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21145 I followed the instructions
tar -xjf linux-2.6.31.6.tar.bz2 -C /usr/src
cd /usr/src
rm linux
ln -s linux-2.6.31.6 linux
cd linux
cp /boot/config-2.6.24.4 .config
make oldconfig
make menuconfig
make
make modules
make modules_install
Then
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.31.6
cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.31.6
cp .config /boot/config-2.6.31.6
cd /boot
rm config System.map vmlinuz
ln -s config-2.6.31.6 config
ln -s System.map-2.6.31.6 System.map
ln -s vmlinuz-2.6.31.6 vmlinuz
wget http://debian-knoppix.alioth.debian.org/sources/cloop_2.631-1.tar.gz
tar -xzf cloop_2.631-1.tar.gz -C /usr/src/modules
cd /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631
vi MakefileModify the kernel
#!/usr/bin/make
MACHINE=2.6.31.6 #I modified with my kernel
KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux
file_exist=$(shell test -f $(1) && echo yes || echo no)
makeThen i obtained
Building for Kernel Patchlevel 6
make modules -C /usr/src/linux M=/usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/compressed_loop.o
LD [M] /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
CC /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/src/modules/cloop-2.631/cloop.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'Then aufs.koFrom http://www.knoppixforum.de/knoppix-forum-deutsch/remastern/thread3993/knoppix-fit-f%C3%BCr-den-kernel-2-6-30.htmlI installed curl
apt-get install curl
git clone http://git.c3sl.ufpr.br/pub/scm/aufs/aufs2-standalone.git aufs2-standalone.git
cd aufs2-standalone.git
git checkout origin/aufs2-31
HEAD is now at 54e7772... aufs2 standalone version for linux-2.6.31
vi config.mkchanged
CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG = y with
CONFIG_AUFS_DEBUG =then I copied aufs2-base.patch and aufs2-standalone.patch to /usr/src/linux and I applied the patches
patch -p1 <aufs2-base.patch
patch -p1 <aufs2-standalone.patchThen I go to aufs2-standalone.git directory
make KDIR=/usr/src/linux I obtained
make KDIR=/usr/src/linux
-I/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/include -DCONFIG_AUFS_MODULE -UCONFIG_AUFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127
make -C /usr/src/linux M=/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs EXTRA_CFLAGS="-I/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/include -DCONFIG_AUFS_MODULE -UCONFIG_AUFS -DCONFIG_AUFS_BRANCH_MAX_127" modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/opts.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/vfsub.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dcsub.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/cpup.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/whout.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/plink.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/wbr_policy.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dinfo.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dentry.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/finfo.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/file.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/f_op.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dir.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/vdir.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/iinfo.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/inode.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_add.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_del.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/i_op_ren.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/ioctl.o
GEN /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/conf.str
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/sysfs.o
CC [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/dbgaufs.o
LD [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.o
Building modules, stage 2.
MODPOST 1 modules
WARNING: "security_inode_readlink" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "deny_write_access" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "security_file_permission" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "do_truncate" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "do_splice_from" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "lookup_hash" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "security_inode_permission" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "do_splice_to" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
WARNING: "__lookup_one_len" [/usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko] undefined!
CC /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.mod.o
LD [M] /usr/src/modules/aufs2-standalone.git/fs/aufs/aufs.ko
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.31.6'
ln -f fs/aufs/aufs.ko aufs.ko It seems that I have the aufs.ko file. I will go forward to see if something is wrong...
I copied the aufs.ko and cloop.ko to lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/
Insert into modules.dep
echo '/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/cloop.ko': >> /lib/modules/2.6.31.6/modules.dep
echo '/lib/modules/2.6.31.6/kernel/drivers/block/aufs.ko': >> /lib/modules/2.6.31.6/modules.dep
##Edit:
Now that I am here, I realized that I don't know how to make minirt.... LOL
But I'll do it....
Or if someone wants to help :) ...
kl522
12-02-2009, 08:07 AM
Actually I find it a bit strange that the kernel is compiled and obtained before the aufs2 patch. I would imagine that it is safer to use the kernel after the aufs2 patch. Perhaps the aufs2 patch does not have impact on the main kernel, so it might be also alright to use the kernel before the aufs2 patch.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.