PDA

View Full Version : Better audio mixer wanted



zsd
12-07-2009, 07:25 PM
On (at least) the 6.2 CD version, the most n00b-friendly mixer I see is aumix. However, aumix is still not that friendly, since
(a) I ssume it still uses OSS, and the OSS interface to some audio cards seems to miss a lot of controls (this was the case in 6.0.1), and
(b) controlling a second or third audio device from aumix requires a command-line incantation to get it going.
I am remastering Knoppix to provide a system to some people who are not ever in any imaginable world going to start up aumix with the command line.

Thus I would like a more n00b-friendly mixer.

kmix is suitable, but unfortunately requires huge amounts of KDE stuff to be installed to make it useful (and I am trying to keep my remaster reasonably small).

Can anyone recommend a easy-to-use GUI mixer for Knoppix 6.2?

Thanks.
Jim

OErjan
12-08-2009, 12:08 PM
alsamixergui

zsd
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
Thanks, but it is not very n00b-friendly. After playing with it for a few minutes I saw no gui way of selecting the non-default sound card. And I'm guessing if I didn't immediately see it, the people I am making this for wouldn't either.

Cheers.

Jim

zsd
12-13-2009, 03:17 AM
I'm guessing that not too many people care, but for anyone reading this thread in the future, so far gnome-alsamixer is the best mixer I've found that does not require kde.