PDA

View Full Version : Repairing the ntfs.sys file in Windows



garyevs
03-01-2011, 10:08 AM
Hi

I have been attempting to fix a corrupted NTFS.sys file within an installed version of 64-bit Windows 7, but am running into an error.

I have booted from the Knoppix CD, opened a shell window and entered ‘su’ to access the root user facility. I then enter ‘cfdisk’ which should bring up a list of installed partitions. However, I am getting the following error:

‘Fatal Error: Bad primary partition 1: Partition ends in the final partial cylinder’

During installation, Windows 7 creates a reserved system partition before the main System partition, I assume that this error is caused by this process. Is there a way to get around this ?

Any help appreciated, but I have limited experience of Linux, so step by step instructions if possible please J

Cheers

Werner P. Schulz
03-01-2011, 12:38 PM
... start "PCManFM" (the second icon from left). Now you can see your HD; one Partition "system reserved" and one with Windows 7 on it. Select the partition with the Windows installation; then in the menu 'Tools/ Open current folder as root'.

In the console you can see your partitons with "fdisk -l".


Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD with Knoppix (Knoppix V6.4.4 remaster)

utu
03-01-2011, 04:24 PM
@ garyevs

Welcome to the forum.

If your Windows 7 EVER worked, I would suggest you first use its
built in restore function which is excellent.

If your Windows 7 NEVER worked, you need to give a more detailed
history of your exploits.

IMHO I think trying to 'repair' Windows 7 system files is no job
for the average Windows user, such as myself, other than by its
restore method.

Also, unless you are very familiar with Windows and Knoppix inner
workings, DO NOT write to ntfs from Knoppix.