Log in

View Full Version : How do I ammend the config.tbz file?



kevv
10-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Hello

I have a persistant Knoppix fileset [of 2 files] on my memory stick one of which is called:
configs.tbz

I want to decompress it, make a modification and then recompress it to the same format.
I can decompress it using Konqueror's drop down menu to give to 2 folders:
home and etc

but when I use Konqueror's drop down menu to recompress it, it does not offer:
.tbz

only:
tar.bz2

How can the 2 folders be compressed to:
.tbz

please?

Werner P. Schulz
10-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Lok at the example from http://www.computerhope.com/unix/utar.htm:

Creating a tarred file that is compressed with bzip
tar -cjvf test.tbz home/
Adding the j option to the tar command enables tar to compress files and directories using bzip. In the above example the home directory and all its subdirectories are added to the compressed test.tbz file.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)

kevv
10-23-2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you for that Werner (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/members/47400-Werner-P.-Schulz).
Well, I ammended the bash_history file, zipped it all back up and then rebooted.
The final result seems to be OK; but when Booting up, at the point of loading my configs.tbz there now appear a lot of complaints about various directories.
So it seems that the decompression & recompression have introduced some sort of corruption somewhere.
Any ideas about that please?