PDA

View Full Version : Dependency issues when installing new packages on 6.7.1



jinglespur
10-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Hi I'm not great with apt, but having successfully remastered earlier versions of Knoppix I set out to do the same again with 6.7.1. I created the normal chroot environment as per the Remastering howto, did an apt-get update and then hit my first problem after

apt-get install vlc

which resulted in

Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
vlc : Depends: vlc-nox (= 1.1.3-1squeeze6) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-notify (= 1.1.3-1squeeze6) but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: vlc-plugin-pulse (= 1.1.3-1squeeze6) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

Some packages went on fine (emacs, wireshark) but more than a few seemed to encounter dependency issues like the one shown above. Is there something about 6.7.1 that makes dependencies more problematic than in previous versions? (I should maybe add that the same issues affect me even when working outside the chroot.)

Any advice welcome.

klaus2008
10-29-2011, 12:53 PM
The package management software apt-get of Knoppix uses software packages of the Debian stable branch by default.
Somtimes packages of the stable branch are older than those delivered with Knoppix since Knoppix uses packages of four different branches of the Debian software package repositories.
I would suggest that you instruct apt-get to prefer packages of the testing (wheezy) branch if you get an error message. You could issue
apt-get update
apt-get -t testing install vlcand see wether this resolves the issue.

utu
10-29-2011, 03:12 PM
greetings jinglespur & klaus

I use Synaptic; it usually resolves most dependencies.
When it doesn't, you can change its repo list.

jinglespur
10-30-2011, 09:55 PM
Many thanks. That did the trick.