View Full Version : How to install Firefox with USB created from Knoppix 6.7 CD
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 04:24 AM
I've created a USB boot disk from a Knoppix 6.7 CD. The default browser is the Chromium web browser. How do I install Firefox?
I've tried the following from the root terminal:
sudo apt-get install mozilla-firefox
which returns:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package mozilla-firefox
Suggestions?
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 05:01 AM
I can't seem to edit the previous post, so I'm adding a little more information with this post.
I found the Synaptic Package Manager and a search does return firefox and the 4 packages, which look like they are installed.
Maybe Firefox, just isn't in the menu? Don't know how to launch FF from LXTerminal, but Firefox command returns command not found same from root terminal
klaus2008
12-05-2011, 06:57 AM
The Debian version of Firefox is called Iceweasel. You can find this web browser in the menu.
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 05:43 PM
In the "Internet" menu section, I'm seeing 3 choices:
Chromium Web Browser
Pidgin Internet Messenger
Terminal Server Client
I did a quick scan of the other menu sections and don't see iceweasel or firefox listed, except in the synaptic package manager where a search for iceweasel gives iceweasel in the left pane and no packages in the right pane. A search for firefox gives firefox in the left pane and in the right pane:
libmozjs2d
libmozjs5d
pcmanfm
xulrunner-1.9.1
All left squares are green and if I try to click on them, the message box indicates mark for removal, which I take means that they are present.
Maybe I need to get the DVD rather than the CD? Although, I like the idea of installing the applications I want without having a lot of other applications that I don't use.
I've created a USB boot drive from the 6.7 CD.
Looking for weasels or foxes.
klaus2008
12-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Hi, Denver Dave!
I forgot to write how the Iceweasel web browser could be installed. I do it in a terminal with the commands
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t testing install iceweaselThe Knoppix V6.7.0 CD has Chromium web browser as default browser, but Knoppix V6.7.1 CD comes with Iceweasel.
Greetings
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 06:48 PM
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.debian.org stable/updates Release.gpg [836 B]
Ign http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates/contrib Translation-en
Ign http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates/main Translation-en
[..... lines not shown]
Get:35 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable-updates/contrib i386 Packages [14 B]
Get:36 http://ftp.de.debian.org stable-updates/non-free i386 Packages [14 B]
Fetched 24.0 MB in 1min 29s (269 kB/s)
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo apt-get -t testing install iceweasel
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
= = = =
Maybe I need to get the 6.7.1 disk and maybe the DVD? I'm just trying to learn how knoppix works with regard to adding applications.
klaus2008
12-05-2011, 06:58 PM
E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it? I think that you are running two or more package management programs simultaneously. You have to close Synaptic package management before you issue the first apt-get command.
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 07:33 PM
, I believe I shut everything down and rebooted for good measure. Results do look different
[... previous lines omitted]
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org stable-updates/non-free i386 Packages
Hit http://ftp.de.debian.org stable-updates/main i386 Packages
Fetched 20.3 kB in 7s (2561 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo apt-get -t testing install iceweasel
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
iceweasel : Depends: xulrunner-8.0 (>= 8.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
keepnote : Depends: python-glade2 but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
= = = =
At least knoppix is trying to install.
.... seems like i've seen python-glade 2 before ....
Sorry about the long list below, I'm not sur be what might be important:
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# apt-get install python python-gtk2 python-glade2 libgtk2.0-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
python-gtk2 is already the newest version.
python-gtk2 set to manually installed.
You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these:
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
gimp : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
hplip : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
libgtk2.0-dev : Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (= 2.20.1-2) but 2.24.5-3 is to be installed
Depends: libglib2.0-dev (>= 2.23.6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libpango1.0-dev (>= 1.20) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libatk1.0-dev (>= 1.29.2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libcairo2-dev (>= 1.6.4-6.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libx11-dev (>= 2:1.0.0-6) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxext-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-2) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxinerama-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxi-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-4) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxrandr-dev (>= 1:1.2.99) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxcursor-dev but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxfixes-dev (>= 1:3.0.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxcomposite-dev (>= 1:0.2.0-3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxdamage-dev (>= 1:1.0.1-3) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: pkg-config but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libxml2-utils but it is not going to be installed
Recommends: debhelper but it is not going to be installed
python : Depends: python2.7 (>= 2.7.2-3~) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-minimal (= 2.7.2-9) but 2.6.6-14 is to be installed
python-brlapi : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-cairo : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-compizconfig : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-cups : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-dbus : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-gconf : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-glade2 : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-gnome2 : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-gobject : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-gtk2 : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-imaging : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-numpy : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-pyorbit : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
python-uno : Depends: python (< 2.7) but 2.7.2-9 is to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt-get -f install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
... so far have not started up synaptic again.
...whew
Denver Dave
12-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Tried this again after the keepnote attempt:
just this command
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo apt-get -t testing install icewease
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package icewease
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
klaus2008
12-05-2011, 09:55 PM
With the Knoppix V6.7.0 Live-CD I did the following.
My first step was to download keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb from the web page mentioned earlier in the other thread (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29630-Has-anyone-installed-KeepNote?p=125595). I opened a terminal and issued
sudo dpkg -i /home/knoppix/Downloads/keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb I got an error message concerning dependency issues. Many packages are updated since the release date of Knoppix V6.7.0. Therefore it is no wonder that you have to upgrade more packages than you can imagine. :)
After some attempts I found the minimum of packages to be updated in order to be able to install the keepnote package.
In the terminal I issued
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -t testing install python-glade2 python-gtk2 python-numpy python-gnome2 libc6 locales python-gconf libc-bin libc6-dev libc-dev-bin gcc-4.6 libmpfr4 libquadmath0 libgomp1 libgcc1 cpp-4.6 gcc-4.6-base multiarch-support libgfortran3 libstdc++6I got an error message about the running screensaver and another one about a serious problem concerning UNIONFS. My solution is to switch over to the console 1 and issue the following commands. (Because the graphical desktop environment will be terminated be sure that you do not have any other important program running.)
Usually you can change to the console 1 with the command
sudo chvt 1 in the terminal or by pressing the three keys Ctrl-Alt-F1 simultaneously.
The commands I issued in the console were
init 2
chroot /UNIONFS/
dpkg -a --configure
apt-get -t testing -f install
exit
init 5 I was back in the desktop environment. Then I issued
sudo apt-get -t testing install iceweasel Afterwards I found the menu item "Iceweasel" in the "Internet" menu.
I hope this helps.
Denver Dave
12-06-2011, 12:54 AM
I'm not going to over think this, I'm just going the do each of klaus2008 (the champ)'s commands and check for a keepnote menu choice after each command.
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix# sudo dpkg -i /home/knoppix/Downloads/keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb
(Reading database ... 73447 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace keepnote 0.7.6-1 (using .../keepnote_0.7.6-1_all.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement keepnote ...
Setting up keepnote (0.7.6-1) ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Processing triggers for python-central ...
root@Microknoppix:/home/knoppix#
Looks good to me and the keepnote menu choice is there. Some of the previous commands must have helped. - - how exciting ! Definitely owe klaus2008 and uti at least a beer !!!!!
OK - next - running KeepNote and creating a notebook. Wonder where I should put it. I had a notion of maybe putting all the data files in under one data file. I see that there is a KNOPPIX-DATA folder ..... wonder if that is a
good place ....
Wonder what best practice is? I see a KNOPPIX-DATA / home / knoppix
... I think for now and this is probably wrong, I'm just going to create a directory under the top knoppix called Data and under that called keepnote. Perhaps I can find the Data folder for applications and also have SpiderOak backup the entire Data folder other and maybe sync with my other PCs and operating systems. Wonder what others do?
Anyway - KeepNote is running under Knoppix - many thanks !!!!!!!
Will be interesting to see when I reinstall, if I can duplicate. I think I'll start with your last set of instructions.
Denver Dave
12-06-2011, 01:20 AM
I don't know how to mark this thread as solved and that might be too strong a label, but we succeeded. Thanks.
Sorry - got the treads mixed up - keepnote succeeded - I'll work on iceweasel next.
Denver Dave
12-14-2011, 04:45 AM
Well, I'm back. I ordered the knoppix 6.7.1 DVD and have installed it to a USB.
Have KeepNote running
Have SpiderOak running (sort of)
Iceweasel 6.0.2 and IceDove 3.1.13 do come up I'm wondering how these compare with the 8.0 versions I'm running with FireFox and Thunderbird on Windows XP, Windows 7 and ubuntu 11.10 ?
Don't mean to be a spoil sport and not a team player, but is it hard to run the current and real versions of Firefox and Thunderbird with knoppix? I'd like to run the Lightning calendar, which I think requires the latest 8.0 versions (not sure).
When I bring up the addons windown with icedov - I'm not sure where to see the install addons from a file lilnk.
When I bring up the addons window from iceweasel I get loading... that does not go away. Seemed like this worked earlier, maybe a mozilla server issue.
Denver Dave
12-18-2011, 01:44 AM
Trying
aptitude update
Looks like command running .... and running ....
aptitude install firefox
yields:
No candidate version found for firefox
Worth a try.
Denver Dave
12-28-2011, 06:31 AM
I created a directory named Apps and downloaded the .tar files for Firefox 9.0.1 and Thunderbird 9.0.1 from the Mozilla site. Navigated to the .tar file with File Manager, right clicked and extracted the files to the directories that they created. Navigated to the Firefox and Thunderbird files and can launch with either double click or right click and open. Noticed that Flash is not installed. Did the following commands from the root terminal window. Didn't use sudo, but they seemed to run, but still no flash even after closing and opening FireFox... will try rebooting. apt-get update apt-get install flashplugin-nonfree
Denver Dave
12-28-2011, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure if the rebooting was necessary or if I had to allow scripts to run (noscripts).
Now I'm not sure if the install Flash was necessary or if the noscripts was the issue.
Not saying noscripts is a bad thing, just that I'm going to have to figure it out.
Also the post before removed the blank likes between items - sorry about the readability, not sure if will be an issue here until I save.
*** blank lines retained after save
= = = = = =
Next item - how to add Firefox and Thunderbird to the application start menu. I'll post the approach here if figure out and tips appreciated.
Denver Dave
12-28-2011, 07:05 AM
Might be harder to add a menu item than I thought - found this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/threads/29036-Adding-to-the-Main-Menu-under-LXDE
= = = = =
Rather than install FF and TB with the .tar, should have I used the Software Center or Package Manager?
Werner P. Schulz
12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
If you install Firefox and Thunderbird from Mozilla site, you have to create a symlink within '/usr/bin' to '(/wherever/extracted)/firefox/firefox' and '(/wherever/extracted)/thunderbird/thunderbird'.
To get LXDE-menu entries create within '/usr/share/applications' two new files "firefox.desktop" and "thunderbird.desktop"; have a look at "iceweasel.desktop" as an example, how to do it.
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
Denver Dave
12-29-2011, 01:25 AM
With "file manager" I found KNOPPIX_FS/usr/bin There is a file called iceweasel which contains a script that is probably beyond me to duplicate and identify changes required for Firefox. With the information provided by Werner, I also found the /KNOPPIX/usr/share/applications/iceweasel - desktop configuration file.
I changed some of the iceweasel text to firefox in the configuration file, saved it and copied it to the desktop. I have a shortcut without an icon (have FF icon in FF directory - must have to copy it someplace) that launches iceweasel. I changed Exec=iceweasel %u to Exec=firefox %u ---- but there must be more to this.
Let's see - typing iceweasel in the terminal window brings up iceweasel. Typing firefox in the terminal window also brings up iceweasel. Maybe this is the symlink Werner was talking about? I'll keep researching.
= = = = =
In "file manager" I also found "Applications" with subfolders Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, Internet, Office, Preferences, Programming, Sound & Video, System Tools and Universal Access. These categories match the menu choices. Within "Internet" are the shortcuts for Internet Tools such as IceWeasel.
I have the short cuts in a left file manager window and the Firefox folder on a right file manager window with the firefox program. In windows XP, I would drag and drop firefox and choice create shortcut. However, not sure how to do that with knoppix.
Werner P. Schulz
12-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Please, use mc (MidnightCommander), not PCManFM; with mc you can see symlinks.
Copy your Firefox-download from Mozilla site to '/opt', select the compressed file within mc and extract it with "F2 => z"
Change your view from the other panel of mc to '/usr/bin'
Move (=rename) '/usr/bin/firefox' to '/usr/bin/firefox-old' within mc with "F6"
Select in the first panel of mc '/opt/firefox-9.0.1/firefox'; make a symlink (with mc => File => Symlink) to '/usr/bin/firefox'
To get the icons is a little more tricky.
Change view in one panelside of mc to '/opt/firefox../firefox/chrome/icons/default', in the other panelside to '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps'.
Select the entry 'default16.png'
Create a "Symbolic link filename:" '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16
/apps/firefox.png'
Do it in the same manner with 'default32.png' an 'default48.png'
Werner P. Schulz
12-29-2011, 03:00 PM
... and you need a symlink from '/opt/firefox../firefox/icons/mozicon128.png' to '/usr/share/pixmaps/firefox.png'
Greetings Werner * http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html
Own Rescue-CD (Knoppix V6.7.1 remaster)
Denver Dave
01-08-2012, 04:32 AM
Where would I begin to understand symlinks and how to list and create them? I've done some searches, but the results don't seem to start at the beginning.
Thanks.
Werner P. Schulz
01-08-2012, 10:06 AM
... the first entry within Google search
http://wiki.debian.org/SymLink
Denver Dave
05-16-2013, 04:11 AM
Updating post for progress for myself if need to remember and if anyone else has the same question. If you have a better approach, please post.
Never did figure out symlinks, but extracted firefox to a new directory that I created called apps and then a firefox directory was created, right clicked and copied the firefox application from the extract directory, then right click on desktop then create new / short-cut. Launches fine.
Haven't figured out how to use the FireFox icon, but launches fine.
Denver Dave
07-22-2013, 01:57 AM
In knoppix 7.2 the right click on the desktop icon, select the choice now called create link to application
To change the desktop icon, sudo gedit on file /home/knoppix/Desktop/Firefox (which is the name of the applicationlink)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.