PDA

View Full Version : kn-remaster script for new DVD-versions



Werner P. Schulz
06-01-2012, 07:19 PM
I've adapted the kn-remaster script for the new Knoppix DVD-versions 7.0.x
http://www.wp-schulz.de/knoppix/summary.html

Greetings Werner

utu
06-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Greetings, Werner.

Glad to see you've brought this up-to-date.
Have you noticed any effects, good or bad, now that we have zram?

Regards.

Werner P. Schulz
06-02-2012, 04:59 PM
No, I noticed neither good nor bad effects. The used time to remaster the DVD is about 2 hours for me on my Laptop with 4GB RAM. Perhaps some people with a lot of time will do comparative measurements.

Werner P. Schulz
06-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Just the time I've tested my script once more within a Knoppix (not Knoppix64) HW installation with 3GB RAM and 4GB swap. All over the time no swap has been used. Therefore I believe zram is of no use for remaster Knoppix.

utu
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
Greetings again, Werner.

If one were to try a modification of your kn-recombine approach
on an 8 Gb CD-size LiveUSB without resorting to external storage for
the re-combination, might not zram allow that to work?

Something of this sort would make zram worthwhile for 4 Gb and
larger ram installations.

Regards.

Werner P. Schulz
06-03-2012, 05:46 PM
At which point of "recombine" do you think zram can do the trick?

To recombine a DVD flash installation you need a lot of free space within a partiton (13 -15 GB) and you need RAM, RAM and RAM, not swap.

utu
06-03-2012, 05:55 PM
I know it may be a false hope, but zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
act as though it were 12 Gb of memory with fast swapping going on.
I have done a kn-recombine of a CD-size LiveUSB with a 12 Gb Virtual set-up,

I've also done kn-rcombine of a CD-size LibeUSB on the same 16 Gb SanDisk
partitioned with 4 Gb for the LiveUSB and 12 Gb for the re-combination.

Hoping to scale that down to 8 Gb using zram.

Need a genius programmer to make this all happen.

Werner P. Schulz
06-03-2012, 06:37 PM
..zram has the potential to make my 4 Gb ram
act as though it were 12 Gb of memory..You are dreaming :-))

utu
06-04-2012, 06:26 PM
You are dreaming :-))
Yes, I am.
I can see how zram helps the netbook situation, but
I can't see how it helps the 4 Gb of ram situation.

That is, I can't see an application that would both:
a. benefit from zram; and
b. be understandable to the user of modest requirements.