PDA

View Full Version : User friendly Firewall



MartindeGroot
08-14-2012, 04:44 PM
It would be very nice if anyone could get a user-friendly, application-based firewall, like guarddog to work with the latest Knoppix kernels.

I tried Guarddog, but it hasn't been worked on since kernel 2.6. Therefore can't find the IPtables.

I'm very happy with my Knoppix 7.0.3, Works great on my older machine (needed some cheatcodes, like no3d and lang=nl ). But the firewalls on offer are just too geeky.

If anyone has a solution, or even better: an updated Guarddog, it would be greatly appreciated. :p

Thanks.

utu
08-14-2012, 08:35 PM
Greetings, Martin.
Welcome to the forum.


the firewalls on offer are just too geeky.
Does this include the Knoppix firewall as well?

MartindeGroot
08-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Does this include the Knoppix firewall as well?

Hi utu,

Yes,

For starters,although installed, It isn't in the startmenu, once you did manage to find and start it, it asks you all kind of things the average guy hasn't a clue about (and imho shouldn't need to) even in "easy mode".

What on earth does "Knoppix-terminal server not running" or "bad argument `lo' " mean??

Also "persistent KNOPPIX image" ??? on a harddrive installed OS ???

I'm sorry, I may be a noob, Knoppix has come a long way, is usually easy to use, adaptable and outperformes most other OS's hands down. I just thought it would be nice to have something really easy like guarddog incorporated into it.

Sorry for ranting ;)

utu
08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
I've not seen these questions in calling up Knoppix firewall.
Did your CD or DVD pass the testCD or testDVD test?

There are some difficulties with the current 'no3d' option which may
have some effect here.
You might try it without this cheatcode to eliminate that possibility.

MartindeGroot
08-15-2012, 12:06 AM
I've not seen these questions in calling up Knoppix firewall.
Did your CD or DVD pass the testCD or testDVD test?

There are some difficulties with the current 'no3d' option which may
have some effect here.
You might try it without this cheatcode to eliminate that possibility.


Oh dear, The lineage of this OS :rolleyes: . Here goes:

7.0.3 dvd en ISO --> multiboot USB using YUMI
played around installed/uninstalled some stuff
from that installed to HD using option in KNOPPIX menu

Then the display started playing up, so first uninstalled compiz. That wasn't very nice, reinstalled it and added no3d to menu.lst , which did the trick.

played around installed/uninstalled stuff some more

added firestarter (don't like) added guarddog (like, but doesn't workon 3.4 kernel).uninstalled it.
I think I've uninstalled and reinstalled knoppix firewall as well (not quite sure though)
Knoppix firewall currently installed version is 0.5-6

I have never burned the DVD, so why test it?

I'm keeping that cheatcode for obvious reasons.

Also, it's very nice you're helping me to get a firewall up and running, but the idea was to find an application based firewall.

utu
08-15-2012, 01:00 AM
My 7.0.3 LiveCD-size LiveUSB shows no funny questions with
lang=nl no3d cheatcodes. Funny language, maybe.

So what can you say about testCD or testDVD?

utu
08-15-2012, 02:58 AM
Greetings again, Martin

It looks like the mail is a little slow here, so our notes
are out of sync a bit.

It's hard to tell just how, but I think your 'install' has
gotten a little mangled. If you had a LiveUSB, like my own,
it would be easy to make a test to see if the basic
compressed image is intact and correct, using either testCD
or testDVD. These are built into Knoppix for this purpose.

Likewise, with poor-man installs, since these also use the
basic KNOPPIX compressed image, testCD and testDVD may also
be used there.

Once the system has been expanded and changed, this can no
longer be applied. I don't know if there is a test to verify
the basic integrity of your system at present.

My interest here is to dig into and understand if there are
deficiencies in any of the standard Knoppix elements.
I'm no firewall expert, but I'm pretty sure that Klaus K
has put a lot of work into this element and tailored it
especially for this OS and its applications.

I can tell you your comments don't describe the way the
Knoppix firewall seems to work for me, but seem rather,
more likely to describe a scrambled installation.

You may want to consider the LiveUSB approach rather than
any of the conventional installation methods for this and
a good many other reasons.

Perhaps some of our more experienced members of the forum
may have some more useful insight for you than this.