View Full Version : Remastering resets KDE configuration. Where is it kept ?
Hi,
After my latest remastering, the default knoppix kde setup disappeared. I get the knoppix wallpaper and the knoppix splash window, but once initialization is finished, the root window goes picture-less, and the icons and toolbar seem to be the default KDE ones instead of the knoppix ones.
I re-copied /etc/skel/*, /usr/share/knoppix/profile/*, and /var/* (just in case). Still, when I boot it, the above happens.
Which files am I missing ? The remastering wasn't meant to modify the desktop in any way but apparently I screwed something up while in the chroot environment during the process.
Thanks.
IllegalOperation
07-12-2003, 02:30 AM
kdm
You can do a "locate kdm" in a terminal to find this.
fyi, Linux has 3 display managers available, xdm, kdm and gdm. All can be made to work but some seem better than the other for some folks.
kdm
You can do a "locate kdm" in a terminal to find this.
fyi, Linux has 3 display managers available, xdm, kdm and gdm. All can be made to work but some seem better than the other for some folks.
Thanks, but thats not what I meant. kdm-related files were not modified. kde behavior did.
In fact, hashed all the files in the system, once during a session with the version working properly and once with the version which has broken kde environment. I diff the two lists to see which files changed. Strangely, no kdm or kde files changed in /KNOPPIX. In fact, nothing but the files I added seem to be different, and these files have nothing to do with KDE.
/KNOPPIX/etc/skel remains identical, and yet, once KDE is initialized, /ramdisk/home/knoppix/.kde suddenly contains a lot of new files, apparently created by KDE during initialization. The whole environment seems to reset to default during the part where KDE says "loading panel".
I don't understand where it gets this different panel since the files are the same. Anyone knows where the "loading panel" phase takes files from ? Isn't it the ~knoppix/.kde which came from /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/.kde ?!
arkaine23
07-19-2003, 11:27 PM
Not all .files get copied from /etc/skel
I just noticed that some of my configs aren't getting copied to /home/knoppix For instance I made a directory called .icons that has my custom cursors in it, but had to manually edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script to get that directory to copy over. I noticed that my .opera does not copy into /home/knoppix either, so there are several .files I need to add in to that script or else only some of the changes I made to kde's config work.
You also have to chown -R root:root all the files in /etc/skel
They will get chowned back to knoppix when the script copies them to knoppix's home.
Not all .files get copied from /etc/skel
I just noticed that some of my configs aren't getting copied to /home/knoppix For instance I made a directory called .icons that has my custom cursors in it, but had to manually edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script to get that directory to copy over. I noticed that my .opera does not copy into /home/knoppix either, so there are several .files I need to add in to that script or else only some of the changes I made to kde's config work.
You also have to chown -R root:root all the files in /etc/skel
They will get chowned back to knoppix when the script copies them to knoppix's home.
Thanks. I know all that, and added my files to 45xsession, but it wasn't the problem. I've already discovered the real problem and I was right - it wasn't in any new files I've added. Its a race bug which exists in 45xsession and which my remastering only triggered. I'll post about it separately.
IllegalOperation
07-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Read the end of this thread, it might clue you in on what your after
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317&highlight=
Read the end of this thread, it might clue you in on what your after
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=317&highlight=
Thanks. I suspect luro95 hit the same bug and solved it with a work-around (having the configuration in a separate tgz loaded during init). However, the bug is still there. I've found the bug and have a simple work-around for now.
See full details in my recent post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=17623
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.