View Full Version : Xine on Knoppix and codecs.
ignuu2
09-05-2003, 02:16 PM
I was hoping to remaster a Knoppix cd that could play all media ytpes out there. Right now I can't play many windows formats, no asf, wmv or anything else. Does anyone know where xine keeps it's codec in knoppix? Usually they are in /urs/lib/win32 but that folder does not seem to exist. Also has anyone else done this? Is there a copy of knoppix out there that can play all the media standards? Keeping in mind that I own a copy of windows so I am legally entitled to the microsoft codecs.
Thanks
If you are going to go ahead and do a remaster, I'd install mplayer and use your windows codecs with it.
Perhaps the easiest way to do this is to put the following listing in your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ unstable main
deb http://marillat.free.fr/ testing main
Then apt-get update
apt-get install mplayer
To get the windows codecs just do this
apt-get install w32codecs
You may want to browse into the listings at http://marillat.free.fr/ since he also has other things like Quicktime codecs.
If you run into dependency problems don't froget the -t unstable option.
apt-get -t unstable mplayer w32codecs ....etc
Finally you'll want to also pull down the mozilla plug in so you can watch streaming video through your browser. It's also in the above mentioned repository.
ignuu2
09-06-2003, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the info. To be honest I am not a huge fan of mplayer. I don't like the UI or the license restrictions. I was really hoping to do this with xine. Thanks for the info though, I will drfinately try it this weekend but hopefully I will be able do do the same with xine sooner or later.
Cheers
Thanks for the info. To be honest I am not a huge fan of mplayer. I don't like the UI or the license restrictions. I was really hoping to do this with xine. Thanks for the info though, I will drfinately try it this weekend but hopefully I will be able do do the same with xine sooner or later.
Cheers
Debian mailing lists indicate that mplayer developers are working hard to fix mplayer's license problems. There is talk of getting it included in standard Debian repositories after this is resolved.
Check out the following link if you want more info on this.
http://www.debian.org/News/weekly/2003/31/
As far as the UI goes, just install kplayer (from the same sources above) it relies on mplayer, but gives you a different front end.
ignuu2
09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
So it seems to be working. I will burn the cd and test it out tonight.
Later
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.