PDA

View Full Version : A 2.6 kernel version of Knoppix



kiwiguy
09-06-2003, 08:12 AM
Hi all.

One thing that I'm sure would be mega-popular would be to have a version of Knoppix which uses the 2.6 kernel. With 2.6 rapidly becoming stable, a Knoppix distro with it would _rock_ ! :-)
Maybe Klaus has some comments on when (or if) a 2.6 version may be appearing .... Anyway, just my 2c worth ;-)

Stephen
09-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Hi all.

One thing that I'm sure would be mega-popular would be to have a version of Knoppix which uses the 2.6 kernel. With 2.6 rapidly becoming stable, a Knoppix distro with it would _rock_ ! :-)
Maybe Klaus has some comments on when (or if) a 2.6 version may be appearing .... Anyway, just my 2c worth ;-)

Klaus always uses the latest stable kernel released so when 2.6 becomes stable you will see it.

henrique
09-06-2003, 02:36 PM
It's avaiable for Kurumin (a Knoppix like distro)

There are packs

http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb
http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-headers-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb

and instructions on how to install it (portuguese only)

http://www.guiadohardware.info/linux/kurumin/kernel-2.6/
http://www.guiadohardware.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5523

This kernel is very speedy. It's for Kurumin Linux but I think that it works in Knoppix too.

garyng
09-06-2003, 03:01 PM
It's avaiable for Kurumin (a Knoppix like distro)

There is a pack

http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.1.0_i386.deb

and instructions on how to install it (portuguese only)

http://www.guiadohardware.info/linux/kurumin/kernel-2.6/

This kernel is very speedy. It's for Kurumin Linux but I think that it works in Knoppix too.

thanks for the information. What I am interested to know is how to build cloop for 2.6 kernel, are there any patches needed or just a recompile using the 2.6 source tree ? This is the main concern I have about 2.6

Dave_Bechtel
09-06-2003, 09:49 PM
--Klaus had to rebuild cloop for **2.4.22** - I doubt you'll be seeing a 2.6-based Knoppix beta any time soon.

--See my thread for some details.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4660



It's avaiable for Kurumin (a Knoppix like distro)

There is a pack

http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.1.0_i386.deb

and instructions on how to install it (portuguese only)

http://www.guiadohardware.info/linux/kurumin/kernel-2.6/

This kernel is very speedy. It's for Kurumin Linux but I think that it works in Knoppix too.

thanks for the information. What I am interested to know is how to build cloop for 2.6 kernel, are there any patches needed or just a recompile using the 2.6 source tree ? This is the main concern I have about 2.6

kiwiguy
09-06-2003, 10:23 PM
Hi again!

I'd just like to thank everyone for their replies. Very helpful and interesting!

( ... and I'm sure than whenever a 2.6 version of Knoppix comes out, it'll be a *beauty* ! :-) )

Thanks again, bye for now -

- kiwiguy

henrique
09-07-2003, 10:58 AM
This is a script by Carlos E. Morimoto that automates the installation of the new kernel in Kurumin Linux:




#!/bin/sh

clear

echo " "
echo "Este script vai ajuda-lo na instalação do Kernel 2.6 testing"
echo "do Kurumin. "
echo " "
echo "A instalação do novo Kernel não alterará o antigo, você passará"
echo "a poder escolher entre os dois durante o boot."
echo " "
echo "Leia mais sobre as novidades e sobre o processo de instalação"
echo "no artigo que abrirei a seguir"
echo "(Enter para continuar)"
read pausa

phoenix http://www.guiadohardware.info/linux/kurumin/kernel-2.6/

clear

echo " "
echo "Deseja continuar com a instalação? (s/n)"
echo " "
read resposta


if [ "$resposta" = "s" ]; then


cd /packages
wget -c http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb
wget -c http://www.las.ic.unicamp.br/pub/kurumim/atualizacoes/kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb

apt-get install module-init-tools
apt-get install initrd-tools

dpkg -i kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb

clear


echo " "
echo "Em qual partição o Kurumin está instalado?"
echo "Ex: /dev/hda1"
read partroot

echo " " >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo "image=/vmlinuz" >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo " label=Kurumin-2.6" >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo " root=$partroot" >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo " read-only" >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo " initrd=/initrd.img" >> /etc/lilo.conf
echo " " >> /etc/lilo.conf

clear

echo " "
echo "Você deve agora editar o arquivo /etc/lilo.conf como descrito no artigo"
echo "que abri, verificando a nova seção que dá a opção de inicializar o novo "
echo "Kernel que adicionei no final do arquivo e substituindo a linha *vga=791*"
echo "ou *vga=788* por *vga=normal* para desativar o frame-buffer, que ainda"
echo "não é suportado pelo Kernel instalado."
echo " "
echo "Lembre-se que caso você tenha configurado o X para usar o driver *fbdev*"
echo "ou caso tenha instalado os drivers de vídeo da nvidia você precisará "
echo "alterar também o driver de vídeo, caso contrário o modo gráfico não"
echo "funcionará ao dar boot usando o novo Kernel"
echo "Caso você esteja usando o driver da nvidia, mude o driver para *nv* e"
echo "caso esteja usando o xfdev, experimente o driver *vesa*"
echo " "

kedit /etc/lilo.conf &
phoenix http://www.guiadohardware.info/linux/kurumin/kernel-2.6/

lilo
sleep 5

kxconfig



fi




Ps. I changed myself kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.1.0_i386.deb ---> kernel-image-2.6.0-test4_Prometeus.2.0_i386.deb

The result: : )


http://www.abcdasaude.com.br/teste/kernel2a.png

:)