PDA

View Full Version : Total Newbie needs advice for JAVA App demonstration Disk



celtic_kiwi
09-18-2003, 01:26 AM
I am working with a group of People who have developed a very useful JAVA application. A developer is currently configuring to run on JBOSS. The application connects to a vendor supplied database already running on the clients network.

I would like to remaster a Knoppix disk to do the following:
- Act as a 'server' in a Windows Network (Connect to the network)
- Automatically start JBOSS with this application deployed on the CD
- Connect to the Clients database on their network (JDBC)
- Log to a MySQL database stored on a USB key (This is low priority)

I want the ultimate WOW factor, to be able to walk into a potential clients office and turn one of their PC's into a demo server, connect the JAVA app to their database. We are thinking of releasing this application as Open Source. It may be after getting the demo runnig from CD that the client just writes to the HD for better performance.

What do I need to do to make this work on a Knoppix CD.

Thanks

Breetai
09-18-2003, 11:16 PM
1. Remaster KNOPPIX - you are going to need some room, and some custom configuration files and initalization.

2. Either start with morphix or some other striped distribution, or
remove packages you will not need (i.e. games, extra office software).

3. Customize startup scripting to copy MySQL database to RAM, configure MySQL and run at startup.

4. IF the network has a DHPC server, it should be network aware at boot time, otherwise, you will need to run the network config script and enter the IP address and such for the network. As far as acting like a server, it depends on what you want.

5. If the network is found, starting the JBOSS application is easy to do, just a little reconfiguing. Same for connecting to the JDBC

For ultimate WOW factor, I would leave a few nice linux apps on board.

You should be able to get lots of great advice from this group. If you would like some help with the particulars, you can email me at: fwarren at efn dot org . We can correspond by email or we can arrange a phone call, depending on what kind of schedule you are on.

celtic_kiwi
09-18-2003, 11:56 PM
Thanks Breetai, your advice was simple enough for me to understand and I may just take you up on that offer.

I will have a look at morphix now.

Gavin