Log in

View Full Version : Total Newb-Setting Up internet



imemyself
10-07-2003, 03:50 AM
As the topic says I'm really new to Linux(never used it before yesterday). I'm trying to set up internet, and I got no clue where to start. :?
I have a WLAN and the computer I'm using Knoppix on is connected directly to the router(Belkin). My ISP is Cox(cable, in KS). In case it matters, the other OS I'm using on my machine is XP Home. I'm using Knoppix via CD, not using at hard drive install. I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Thx in advance.

paradocs
10-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Hi imemyself,

Start with clicking on the KDE desktop

K --> KNOPPIX -->Network/Internet -->
Network card config --> Yes

Try to see if the web browser Konqueror
works -- the icon that looks like a ship mine.

Best Wishes
paradocs

imemyself
10-07-2003, 10:42 PM
OK, when I run that and click yes for the DHCP thing, I get this:



Sending DHCP broadcast from device eth0Operation failed.
Failed.
Hit return to exit.

:?

edit: yes according to my router setup internet page(not viewable in linux btw), the DHCP server option is On.

imemyself
10-10-2003, 03:58 AM
Does anyone know? :(

paradocs
10-10-2003, 05:47 AM
Hi again,

try from root, i.e.
su
dhcpd eth0

No luck?

Do you have a fixed address from you IP?
If so you must get your IP address, netmask, gateway and nameserver.
How do you connect from windows?

If you connect from windows 98, connect to the internet, go to
start run and enter winipcfg. Get the addresses for you connection.
For windows xp the command may be ifconfig.

Best Wishes
paradocs

imemyself
10-11-2003, 02:17 AM
OK, I tried the thing you said(I'm assuming the su, and dhcpd eth0 goes in the console), and it didn't work.(I tried dhcp too, incase it was a typo).

I'm pretty sure I've got a dynamic IP.

paradocs
10-11-2003, 07:40 AM
Hanging in there,

Can you connect with a direct ethernet connection to the modum?
But what you need is to get help with the wlan.

Ok I see you said wlan.
Search Knoppix.net for wlan

Here is one example with some things to try.
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3915#18349

Best Wishes
paradocs

imemyself
10-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Hmm... When I try loading Knoppix when I have an wireless card(in addition to the router) connected to my computer, Knoppix freezes when its loading(when the little green progress bar thing). Also, if I don't have it connected when I'm loading Knoppix, but connect it once its loaded, it freezes. The WLAN card does work fine in Windows. When I tried loading Knoppix on the computer that the WLAN card originally was connected to, it freezes also freezes while the green progress bar thing is going.

I tried connecting it directly to my cable modem, but it didnt work.


Here's what I get when I run iwconfig, and ifconfig.



knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:10:DC:9C:90:F9
BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
RX bytes:0 (0.0 b) TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)
Base address:0xd000

paradocs
10-13-2003, 08:03 AM
Hmmmmm,
No one else is comming to the rescue?
If more searching of old posts does not
set of a light bulb in you head, I would
suggest reposting with the subject specifying
WLAN or your specific card.

But don't give up! KNOPPIX really is great
at configuring with a very high percent of
hard ware. You just happen to be in the
wrong percent. :(

Best Wishes,
paradocs