View Full Version : Vmware Knoppix
I like to run Knoppix in vmware. I can't install the vmware tools if they were already installed in Knoppix then I would get better performance in vmware.
Any info on how we can get vmware tools installed on knoppix plz let me know thanks.
jdong
10-10-2003, 11:18 PM
There's no performance difference; Knoppix has built-in support for the VMWare accelerated X driver, and it probes the DMA modes correctly. It's one of the only ready-to-use VMWare distros.
amznVibe
11-02-2003, 12:35 PM
It's not a performance question (from what I see) it's little things like seamless cursor support and file drag/drop ability. Hitting ctrl-alt constantly to release the cursor is downright annoying.
VMware tries to install the VMTools but it cannot because the cdrom is read only of course.
Linux VMware Tools 2 is publicly available, perhaps it can be put into the next build (or at least an experiemental one, I'd love to try it)
http://www.vmware.com/download/downloadtools.html
I *think* version 2 of the tools will at least give it some basic functionality.
ulajamb
12-13-2003, 08:16 PM
have you tried installing knoppix to the "hard disk"?
Krezip
02-01-2004, 06:44 PM
I checked out this site ;
http://www.nwfusion.com/columnists/2003/1124gearhead.html
And now I am about to install Knoppix :lol: on my HD!
I am running :evil: W2K :twisted: with VMWare 4.0.5...
I don't see the necessity of installing VM-Tools, all works fine without!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.