Birdie
10-20-2003, 10:51 PM
:lol:
Hi complete Linux virgin here. Thought I would try Knoppix v3.3 to initiate me into the Linux experience. Did HDD install. No problem. Like what I see. However I cannot get online and for me that is like having a nice car without a motor.
My modem is ESS ES56H PI Data Fax Modem. I belive this is a winmodem.Forgive me if incorrect. I do have to install driver for it in Windows OS. In Windows it is on COM3.
I used kppp to make internet account. I tried selecting device as ttyS2 which corresponds to COM3 but i get Modem Query message 'modem is busy' . Tried ttyS1 and message 'unable to open modem' I think was message. Also tried ttyS3 and dev/modem without any luck. From info i found on this forum I ran a few commands
this is the result of cat /proc/pci
Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd01f].
Bus 0, device 7, function 3:
Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
IRQ 9.
Bus 0, device 15, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] (rev 84).
IRQ 10.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe7ffffff].
Bus 0, device 16, function 0:
Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2838/2839 SuperLink Modem (rev 1).
IRQ 12.
I/O at 0xd400 [0xd40f].
Bus 0, device 19, function 0:
Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 2).
IRQ 5.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
I/O at 0xd800 [0xd83f].
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc0f].
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe00f].
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe403].
I/O at 0xe800 [0xe803].
My modem listed as ES/2838/2839 SUPERLINK . I assume this means Knoppix detecting modem exists. Correct me if wrong on this.
The setserial command deliverd the following:
root@box:~# setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS4, UART: unknown, Port: 0xffffffff, IRQ: 0
/dev/ttyS5, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a0, IRQ: 2, Flags: Fourport
/dev/ttyS6, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a8, IRQ: 2, Flags: Fourport
/dev/ttyS7, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01b0, IRQ: 2, Flags:
I came across what may be a driver if one is in fact required. I downloaded it and accompanying files. These are :
esscom_orig.o
ess_resolver.c
fixscript17.txt
fixscript18.txt
install.txt
I am assume that esscom_orig.o is the driver . The install.txt has this content:
if (lsmod | grep ^esscom); then rmmod esscom; fi
insmod -x esscom.o
if (ls /dev/essmodem); then rm /dev/essmodem -f; fi
mknod /dev/essmodem c 127 1
if (ls /dev/modem); then rm /dev/modem -f; fi
ln -s /dev/essmodem /dev/modem
As a an almost complete Linux illiterate I don't know what to do to either install this driver or even if I have to
I would appreciate any advice from anyone how to resolve this problem so I can start using Knoppix to get on the internet. I hope there is an answer out there as I would like to stop using Windows at some point.
thanks
Hi complete Linux virgin here. Thought I would try Knoppix v3.3 to initiate me into the Linux experience. Did HDD install. No problem. Like what I see. However I cannot get online and for me that is like having a nice car without a motor.
My modem is ESS ES56H PI Data Fax Modem. I belive this is a winmodem.Forgive me if incorrect. I do have to install driver for it in Windows OS. In Windows it is on COM3.
I used kppp to make internet account. I tried selecting device as ttyS2 which corresponds to COM3 but i get Modem Query message 'modem is busy' . Tried ttyS1 and message 'unable to open modem' I think was message. Also tried ttyS3 and dev/modem without any luck. From info i found on this forum I ran a few commands
this is the result of cat /proc/pci
Master Capable. Latency=64.
I/O at 0xd000 [0xd01f].
Bus 0, device 7, function 3:
Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 2).
IRQ 9.
Bus 0, device 15, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] (rev 84).
IRQ 10.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xe4000000 [0xe7ffffff].
Bus 0, device 16, function 0:
Communication controller: ESS Technology ES2838/2839 SuperLink Modem (rev 1).
IRQ 12.
I/O at 0xd400 [0xd40f].
Bus 0, device 19, function 0:
Multimedia audio controller: ESS Technology ES1969 Solo-1 Audiodrive (rev 2).
IRQ 5.
Master Capable. Latency=64. Min Gnt=2.Max Lat=24.
I/O at 0xd800 [0xd83f].
I/O at 0xdc00 [0xdc0f].
I/O at 0xe000 [0xe00f].
I/O at 0xe400 [0xe403].
I/O at 0xe800 [0xe803].
My modem listed as ES/2838/2839 SUPERLINK . I assume this means Knoppix detecting modem exists. Correct me if wrong on this.
The setserial command deliverd the following:
root@box:~# setserial -g /dev/ttyS*
/dev/ttyS0, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x03f8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS1, UART: 16550A, Port: 0x02f8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS2, UART: unknown, Port: 0x03e8, IRQ: 4
/dev/ttyS3, UART: unknown, Port: 0x02e8, IRQ: 3
/dev/ttyS4, UART: unknown, Port: 0xffffffff, IRQ: 0
/dev/ttyS5, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a0, IRQ: 2, Flags: Fourport
/dev/ttyS6, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01a8, IRQ: 2, Flags: Fourport
/dev/ttyS7, UART: unknown, Port: 0x01b0, IRQ: 2, Flags:
I came across what may be a driver if one is in fact required. I downloaded it and accompanying files. These are :
esscom_orig.o
ess_resolver.c
fixscript17.txt
fixscript18.txt
install.txt
I am assume that esscom_orig.o is the driver . The install.txt has this content:
if (lsmod | grep ^esscom); then rmmod esscom; fi
insmod -x esscom.o
if (ls /dev/essmodem); then rm /dev/essmodem -f; fi
mknod /dev/essmodem c 127 1
if (ls /dev/modem); then rm /dev/modem -f; fi
ln -s /dev/essmodem /dev/modem
As a an almost complete Linux illiterate I don't know what to do to either install this driver or even if I have to
I would appreciate any advice from anyone how to resolve this problem so I can start using Knoppix to get on the internet. I hope there is an answer out there as I would like to stop using Windows at some point.
thanks