View Full Version : Fully Graphical Boot....[url]www.bootsplash.org[/url]
lnxusr
11-17-2003, 07:09 AM
This would be great because alot of people use knoppix to show it off to their friends or at their work. Their friends (or fellow employees/ers) are most likely used to the Microsoft WinXP graphical boot and when they see all this text scrolling by, they probably will think that its archaic. I know some linux users like the kernel messages and stuff becuase it is more UNIX-like, but graphical booting is what modern OSes do, and besides you could just hit F2 for the messages. In addition to this, I have one more question. I am hopefully going to remaster knoppix within the week, if I get time. Any recomendations on patching the kernel before I create the ISO? I mean does anyone know of any special details that I should pay attention to or anything that may break the system. Also, is it going to be any more complicated then a normal kernel patch, because this is going to be a patch on a kernel in a different directory. I haven't much experience on patching kernels so any help would be great.
-Steve
P.S. Perhaps the latter part of this post belongs in a differnet forum, i.e. knoppix remastering/customizations, sorry about that.
sevengraff
11-17-2003, 07:35 AM
I know I would love to see it in knoppix. I was thinking about installing it after I did a hd-install, but it required re-compliling my kernel, and thats not something i am comfortable doing.
It seems silly that it's not part of the official kernel, since most of the big linux comanies do it anyway. it looks like it is very customizable, so I don't see why it can't just be installed in the default kernel, but just turned off so that it shows the boot-up text like normal. Just my opinion.
Stephen
11-17-2003, 07:42 AM
Try knoppix splash when you boot.
desire
01-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Myself I prefer the text boot as opposed to the graphical boot. I hate the thought of booting up and not having a clue what's going on, I also think it is cool and not archaic. I know a couple of years ago just when I started to get into Linux a friend saw my computer boot up (he was using Windoze '98 and he looked at me amazed and said "that's a serious program (OS he meant)!". The other side of the coin is open software is about choice and if some people want a graphical boot up then that's cool too!!! I know this is off subject but has there been any suggestions or discussions about T-shirts for Knoppix or for here "knoppix.net"? It's a very cool way to get the word out.
Rootman
01-09-2004, 03:28 PM
Try knoppix splash when you boot.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Boy, that's kinda boring isn't it. A few lines of text and then the Knoppix splash (same as the top of the KDE splash) centered on the screen.
Whoohoo!
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.