View Full Version : Setting Up Virtuals Terminals
jumbobrian
01-11-2004, 08:40 PM
I'm editing Damn Small Linux (DSL) to include a gameserver, but i want to know how to set up more virtual terminals with CTRL + ALT + F2, F3, or F4, like in the original Knoppix.
I've searched Google, and it seems to be leading me to /etc/inttab . I've compared the files from both DSL and Knoppix, but they appear to be the same.
The part of "/etc/inittab" in question is:
# 4 virtual consoles with immortal shells
1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
2:234:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty2 2>&1 </dev/tty2
3:234:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty3 2>&1 </dev/tty3
4:234:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty4 2>&1 </dev/tty4
But DSL has no virtual terminals. CTRL + ALT + F1 is the boot and shutdown shell, and CTRL + ALT + F2 has started xwindows.
Maybe I need to edit another file?
johnb
01-18-2004, 05:23 PM
hi jumbobrian
Using the Kde gui in knoppix allows 16 desktops to easily be turned on and off by:
Kstart/Settings/Control Center/Desktops/Multiple Desktops.
If you do decide to enable all 16 desktops. I dont know the keyboard sequence is after F12. If you find out what they might be plese post em.
thankx
johnb
Krezip
02-09-2004, 10:25 AM
Facing exactly the same problem here :
Inittab looks perfectly OK, seems like I should have 4 consoles. But that not the fact, CTRL ALT F1 is the xinit output en console 2 = X output...
What happened with 4 & 5 as defined in inittab?
Prev post mentions using KDE, I don't think that has anything to do with since consoles are present without starting any X! Besides KDE on a 50MB DSL would be quiet dumb...
In /etc/inittab
# /sbin/getty invocations for the runlevels.
#
# The "id" field MUST be the same as the last
# characters of the device (after "tty").
#
# Format:
# <id>:<runlevels>:<action>:<process>
# 4 virtual consoles with immortal shells
1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
2:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty2 2>&1 </dev/tty2
3:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty3 2>&1 </dev/tty3
4:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty4 2>&1 </dev/tty4
Any help would be appreciated! :?:
jumbobrian
02-14-2004, 08:16 AM
I've also posted this question on another forum. That post has some answers, although I haven't had time to verify if they work of not.
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi?s=1268d1498b66233973d0761e8b0e749c;a ct=ST;f=12;t=112
raydj
03-15-2004, 11:50 PM
# Format:
# :<runlevels>::<process>
# 4 virtual consoles with immortal shells
1:12345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty1 2>&1 </dev/tty1
2:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty2 2>&1 </dev/tty2
3:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty3 2>&1 </dev/tty3
4:2345:respawn:/bin/bash -login >/dev/tty4 2>&1 </dev/tty4
The 12345 and 2345 specify the runlevels at which the vt's will be started. It seems that DSL boots into runlevel 1, so that's why you only have 1 terminal. You can replace :2345: with :12345: or issue an 'init 2'
Hope this helps
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.