PDA

View Full Version : Using win386.swp for swap



peterpasschier
01-18-2004, 09:41 PM
It would be really useful (to me :-) who also uses W98) to have Knoppix always find the WIN386.SWP file and use it as a swap file, have it listed in fstab like '/mnt/hda#/win386.swp none swap 0 0', do a chmod 0600 on it and a mkswap -c and have it mounted - of course it would require mounting /dev/hda#..? This is what I have in a script, and works well, W98 doesn't seem to have any problems. It might also work with the pagefile.sys on W2K/XP... It saves needing a seperate swapspace for people with cramped (notebook) harddisks..! Looks like a very small adaptation of the swapfinding part.

garyng
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
yup. The only issue is, potentially it makes modifications to the HD which some KNOPPIX may not like(forensic use?). After all, it is just a few lines of script. May be just includes it into the system and whoever wants to enable it can just run it.

Henk Poley
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
Eeew, do you know that when you hibernate Windows it writes the memory out to the swapfile. So I think some people might not like that feature. That's also why on sites where they take the trouble to explain a shared Win9x/WinNT/Linux swap partition/file they say you shoud be prepared for weird errors.

locutus
01-29-2004, 05:50 PM
over the holidays, I had to use my in-laws computer( had windows-whocares on it ) and what I did was setup Knoppix and saved the config, then edited the knoppix.sh file to mount the swp file during boot time. Granted, I had to start Knoppix with the config=scan boot command but that was easier than executing those commands( in knoppix.sh ) every time I booted.

This might work for you. And if leaving those files on the HD isn't going to work, put them on a small USB drive and plug that in when you boot Knoppix. That should work too.