PDA

View Full Version : Lite knoopix for LaTeX



kuni
01-22-2004, 08:12 PM
Dear all,
Just Wonder whether any knoppix-variant for LaTeX only. What I mean is the KDE without any openoffice, apache stuff. In fact, I try to modify one myself but unfortunately I only know little stuff about Linux. In my wish, there is a knoppix-variant including tetex-base, tetex-extra, latex2html, lyx, jadetex, docbook, kile, KGhostview, mozilla. In my mandrake 9.2(laptop), I installed them but it runs very slow ( a 3 year-old notebook). My PC is P4 2.6C but my wife would like to have XP only in that PC. So, knoppix would be the best solution to use linux in my PC. I even look for Knoopix DVD. Unfortunately, it doesn't have all the stuff I needed and too many unused stuff.

Any suggestion is apprepicated.

Thank you very much.

probono
02-02-2004, 11:55 PM
I don't think the "unused stuff" slows you down. You talk about kile, so that's KDE anyway ;-) Btw, you can get it for your Knoppix from http://klik.berlios.de/ - it's a point-and-klik installation, you can even use it running from CD. LyX is already included in Knoppix.

hkfczrqj
02-04-2004, 07:08 PM
In my wish, there is a knoppix-variant including tetex-base, tetex-extra, latex2html, lyx, jadetex, docbook, kile, KGhostview, mozilla.
Hi. Have you tried Quantian (http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/quantian.html)? It's a knoppix remastering done mainly for scientific computing. That includes some of the programs in your wishlist... Includes, among many scientific packages, lyx, texmacs and kile (of course, TeX-LaTeX), and removes OOo, gimp, wine, qcad, games.

Cheers...