PDA

View Full Version : Remaster - Base Debian Install



jaybinks
01-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Please can someone give me a walk through of how to remove everything from a knoppix install ?!?

I want to get to a point of it being just a base debian + whatever Knoppix needs to ge to that point..

No X, No apps etc..
Only hardware detection and drivers etc...

I have tried for a while to remove packages..
( I can get into my chrooted knoppix root dir and start apt-get'ing arround...)
but I eventualy get into problems with failed dependencies etc.. ..
and I have no I dea how to continue..
I tried using a kick list and removing just those packages but even they didnt all remove... some of them remained because of errors..

please can you help me..

thanks

rickenbacherus
01-28-2004, 08:50 AM
try starting from the other direction ;)

Superstoned
01-28-2004, 11:24 AM
yeah, I guess doing a debian install whould be alot easier, if you want it very small.

jaybinks
01-28-2004, 11:38 AM
yea but (I didnt make it clear)
I Want it to be running from a live CD..

so I want a VERY Small knoppix running.

basicly I need to strip knoppix down to its bare minimum..

Superstoned
01-28-2004, 11:53 AM
hmmm. maybe it is easier to do a very minimal debian-install, and convert that back to a knoppix-live-cd. It should be doable, and it might be easier than to strip a knoppix-install.

good luck...

jaybinks
01-28-2004, 12:29 PM
hmmm I hope its easier than that ! : )

Im realy just looking for a shell script (wouldnt it be nice)
that will APT-GET remove everything in the right order etc..
so that it works :)

anyone got something !?!?

or possibly Knoppix guys, can do an ISO image with just a base debian.
for those of us that want a knoppix with no X or any apps as a starting point for remastering..

baldyeti
01-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Have you considered the morphix (www.morphix.org) base module?

Superstoned
01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
morphix might help. and apt-get should automatically solve dependencys, and using some apt-get-frontends like synaptic and aptitude you might be able to clean your system.

jaybinks
01-29-2004, 02:13 AM
I thought of morphix.
but its looked like it had alot of cruft I didnt want.....

and there didnt seem to be as much documents / good forums for people wanting to remaster.. (could just be I didnt see it yet)

anyone have other ideas of what I Should do ?


or does anyone else have some better / bigger kick lists ?


Jay