PDA

View Full Version : setting up a DHCP server on an intranet (no internet)



softgun
01-28-2004, 11:29 AM
Fellow members,

I want to know how to setup a DHCP seerver using the KNPOPPIX CD in a network with 17 clients. I think this is easier than assigning each an address because Knoppix automatically connects to DHCP network from CD, which makes it easy to connect to the server from any client.

This is in a hospital. So most people at the client do not know about networks, they need to boot with Knoppix CD and then connect to the server....

There is no document specifically on this issue on thiis site as far as I can see?

Thank you for any help.

pau1knopp
01-28-2004, 01:50 PM
If you configure and start Knoppix terminal services (via the "Penguin Menu" on the task bar) you will have a fully functioning dhcp server (and a lot more).

IMHO, if you are running this service in the production environment, make sure you have authority / permission to enable this, and understand all the implications. Test bed networks are great for sorting this kind of thing out.

gowator
01-28-2004, 02:14 PM
softgun....
Thats pretty good advice.....
You will confuse things tremendously if you suddenly have a second DHCP server on the network....

Your alternative is make usre all the rest are on static IP's and then try the DHCP server....

because Knoppix automatically connects to DHCP network from CD
If this means they already get DHCP addresses then you must have another DHCP server on the network (no?)

The actual install is pretty simple ...
apt-get install dhcpd
(optionally - in big red letters)
I'd recommend webmin and webmin dhcp ... takes away the pain....

But just to echo pau1knopp "Test bed networks are great for sorting this kind of thing out."

softgun
01-29-2004, 02:59 AM
Thanks a lot!

I will certainly look into the implications before doing anything. Since this is a new network, it is a "testbed". I am running the server off the CD and memory only, and am hoping to get a friend to remaster to add a cron job to save the data into the underlying HDD or to a USB device.
Clients will also jut run from Knoppix CDs. What are the disadvantages of this approach? ( I can think of many advantages...)

Thanks for your valuable advice