PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix should include tools to copy Debian repository



EL Henry
02-14-2004, 06:38 AM
Hello --

I think Knoppix should include tools to set up a copy of a Debian repository. A lot of people don't have broadband access or might want to run Knoppix from a notebook, or another computer from which they can access later, but that has broadband. Or suppose you need to update a system precisely because your internet configuration tools are broken. Knoppix might be the only way out in this case.
There are many ways to copy a repository (for instance, phone lines on a direct connection to a friends computer (a la old BBS) and there are many reasons to want such a thing. Particularly in poorer countries broadband access may not be so common. Knoppix even allows this to possibly take place in some way in a non-Linux computer from a friend with broadband access.

So I ask you to please consider this proposal with the above focus in mind.

I suggest apt-proxy or something like it, and apt-zip as default tools. That way you can download files to a partition.
I realize it has rsync and wget, but I believe apt-zip and apt-proxy are ideal.

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

Henry

Superstoned
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
I think this is really nice. but I guess you have to burn a CD with the repository, then? hmmmm. well, its possible... It whould be great if I could use Knoppix to copy an bunch of deb updates for my home pc to an cd from someone who has high-speed inet access... maybe you can find some scripts and tools for this, or write them, then ask klaus himself?