View Full Version : GUI FTP client?
falstaf
02-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but i cant find any gui ftp clients in knopix?
sure, there are mozilla and mc and so on.. but i mostly use knoppix for
system recovery of busted windows installations at work.
Booting a knoppix CD and backing upp everything over FTP works great.
But a GUI client vould make life somewhat easier.
....So, the question is.. Am I blind or not? :)
Regards,
Magnus
arkaine23
02-19-2004, 11:27 PM
You are not blind. There isn't one in regular Knoppix.
I added gFTP to my remastered CD's, which is graphical- Overclockix (http://overclockix.octeams.com)
It has has ncftp which is a nice text mode ftp client.
If you wait until later tonight, my 3.4 Cebit beta version of Overclockix will be up on the site. It's got captive-NTFS, which should allow for safe writing to NTFS filesystems using wrapped windows drivers. might be a bit better as a utility disk.
Also has a cheatcode to boot straight into memtest, and features folding@home, seti@home, prime95, and cpuburn for stability testing.
falstaf
02-20-2004, 01:04 AM
Okey, sounds interesting.. :D
Post a new reply with an url for it when its done.
Its 1AM here so i'll look at it tomorrow.
Regards,
Magnus
Stephen
02-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Maybe I'm blind, but i cant find any gui ftp clients in knopix?
sure, there are mozilla and mc and so on.. but i mostly use knoppix for
system recovery of busted windows installations at work.
Booting a knoppix CD and backing upp everything over FTP works great.
But a GUI client vould make life somewhat easier.
....So, the question is.. Am I blind or not? :)
Regards,
Magnus
Use Konqueror and type in the location bar ftp://some.ftp.site or if you do not want to enter a user name and password ftp://user_name:
[email protected]. If you want drag'n'drop split the window left/right, top/bottom however you want actually before or after you login then browse to files to be transfered. If you have ssh access use fish instead of ftp in the line to do the transfer securely.
arkaine23
02-20-2004, 01:12 AM
Nice!
And I thought konqueror was lame....
Stephen
02-20-2004, 01:31 AM
Nice!
And I thought konqueror was lame....
Konqueror is far from lame aside from the above mentioned protocols there are smb://, smpt://, sftp://, audiocd:/, file:/, finger:// ..... the list just goes on and on check in the Info Center under Protocols for more. There is a nice little third party app you may want to check out and put in one of your remasters as well kio-apt this gives you a apt:/ in the location bar that you can use for apt-cache {show,search,policy} and dpkg -L & -S plus a box to search the packages.debian.org all from a page or the location bar with a web shortcut found that here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6303) in the tips and tricks and you can get the lastest version with this in your sources list.
## Kio-apt sources for unstable provides apt:/ in Konqueror location bar
deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/ ./
arkaine23
02-20-2004, 01:40 AM
I saw kio-apt on kde-look, but figured synaptic would be good enough.
falstaf
02-20-2004, 09:11 AM
arkain23, the new downloadlink gives me a 404-errror :)
Nice!
And I thought konqueror was lame....
Konqueror is far from lame aside from the above mentioned protocols there are smb://, smpt://, sftp://, audiocd:/, file:/, finger:// ..... the list just goes on and on check in the Info Center under Protocols for more. There is a nice little third party app you may want to check out and put in one of your remasters as well kio-apt this gives you a apt:/ in the location bar that you can use for apt-cache {show,search,policy} and dpkg -L & -S plus a box to search the packages.debian.org all from a page or the location bar with a web shortcut found that here (http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6303) in the tips and tricks and you can get the lastest version with this in your sources list.
## Kio-apt sources for unstable provides apt:/ in Konqueror location bar
deb http://lpnotfr.free.fr/debian/ ./
Yes and in KDE 3.2 try fonts:/ and system:/
Adam
paradocs
02-22-2004, 08:24 AM
Hi all,
I have to admitt that I had to ask the
"where's the FTP' question.
It would be nice if the KDE menu gave
a little hint about this. Perhaps a link
menu option Internet --> FTP Use Konqueror
Konqueror is indeed versatile.
A new (early development) protocol for KNOPPIX Live CD
can be installed from http://klik.berlios.de
After installing the protocol, if you want to add
a new appilcation like JAP just enter the following:
klik:/JAP
Best Wishes
paradocs
paradocs
02-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Hi again,
Here is another Konqueror FTP tip.
Copy the following profile file named FTP into
/home/knoppix/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/profiles/
Then in Kommander select Settings--> Load View Profile
--> FTP Note: the green light shows which panel is in
the Location Bar. Of course you may make your own
profiles and save them with Save View Profile.
Best Wishes
paradocs
[Main Window Settings]
MenuBar=Enabled
[Main Window Settings Toolbar bookmarkToolBar]
Hidden=true
IconSize=16
IconText=IconTextRight
Index=3
NewLine=true
Offset=259
Position=Top
[Main Window Settings Toolbar extraToolBar]
Hidden=true
IconSize=22
IconText=IconOnly
Index=0
NewLine=false
Offset=-1
Position=Top
[Main Window Settings Toolbar locationToolBar]
Hidden=false
IconSize=22
IconText=IconOnly
Index=2
NewLine=true
Offset=184
Position=Top
[Main Window Settings Toolbar mainToolBar]
Hidden=false
IconSize=22
IconText=IconOnly
Index=1
NewLine=true
Offset=-1
Position=Top
[Profile]
Container0_Children=View1,View2
Container0_Orientation=Horizontal
Container0_SplitterSizes=397,397
Container0_activeChildIndex=0
Container0_docContainer=true
Name=FTP
RootItem=Container0
View1_LinkedView=false
View1_LockedLocation=false
View1_PassiveMode=false
View1_ServiceName=konq_treeview
View1_ServiceType=inode/directory
View1_ToggleView=false
View1_URL=ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/
View2_LinkedView=false
View2_LockedLocation=false
View2_PassiveMode=false
View2_ServiceName=konq_treeview
View2_ServiceType=inode/directory
View2_ToggleView=false
View2_URL=file:/home/knoppix
arkaine23
02-23-2004, 07:36 PM
arkain23, the new downloadlink gives me a 404-errror :)
My host was blasted by 200GB downloads in the first 24 hours. I have changed the link and am now using Bittorrent.
A. Jorge Garcia
03-16-2004, 05:03 PM
Other than sftp and fish, what else does ssh let me do?
TIA,
AJG
OErjan
03-16-2004, 06:57 PM
ssh, eeeh you can do anything that can be done in a console with ssh, it is basically a remote console.
You can also configure it to forward X to your computer.
That is, you can run a X program (just ype the program name in the ssh window) on the remote machine but see what you are doing on your end, somewhat slow but...
A. Jorge Garcia
03-31-2004, 02:18 AM
What I meant to ask is, once my server has sshd running, I can use scp, sftp, fish, etc. Are there other such commands? Am I missing out?
TIA,
AJG
Ironwalker
04-01-2004, 03:42 AM
Hi all,
It would be nice if the KDE menu gave
a little hint about this. Perhaps a link
menu option Internet --> FTP Use Konqueror
klik:/JAP
Best Wishes
paradocs
man Konqueror
Nice!
And I thought konqueror was lame....
I enjoyed the performance of Konqueror over cable modem, it gave me speed of 170kb/s which beats all my windows FTP clients on the same modem. :P
However, didn't find any way to RESUME a broken download with Konqueror.
I tried to install GFTP inside Knoppix, it compliled OK, but won't install using the regular ways, because the Knoppix's /usr/options/ is a read only location. I tried to install inside /home/knoppix, and still wouldn't run.
Any one got clue how to do something around this? :?:
A. Jorge Garcia
10-23-2004, 08:26 PM
I resume ftp downloads using konqueror all the time. If your download stalls out or is otherwise interrupted, just start the download over and you will be prompted to overwrite or resume the download.
I just did so today, in fact. I was downloading the 4 CD isos from MORPHIX, the 4 CD isos from Fedora Red Hat and the 4 CD isos from Slackware. Its just not my day! These downloads just kept on stalling, or my kids would boot-up the UnMentionable OS.
I kept resuming all day. I now have the complete download and the md5sums all check out fine!
HTH,
AJG
I resume ftp downloads using konqueror all the time. If your download stalls out or is otherwise interrupted, just start the download over and you will be prompted to overwrite or resume the download.
......
Hmmmm, that's nice I had not tried that yet.
I had not seen that resume dialog of Konqueror before, may be I had not tried to save over the same file name.
Had any body used Konqueror for huge download beyond 4GB?
I have big broblems downloading FC2 from:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/2/i386/iso/FC2-i386-DVD.iso
The huge ISO is a DVDROM which consisted all of Fedora's 4 CDs + all source codes. There are several issues for download size over 4GB:
* Linux kernal 2.4x not supporting the 4GB limit, have to use 2.6x
* gftp reports wrong file size clipping off at 2GB
* mountSMB SAMBA old version seem not able to handle over 4GB
* destination can not be any of FAT system e.g. FAT32 file size max is 2GB.
I had been able to by pass some of these problems, but still when a huge download like this got stalled or broken, it seems never to RESUME properly.
Any one knows if Konqueror can handle it? :?:
I used Konqueror once to download the above from one of FC2's ftp mirror, it stopped at 3.8GB, and I gave up. :x
:D
I am able to get Konqueror to do download RESUME now!
The style of Konqueror is such that it creates a .part file, such as download.tar.gz.part and this file is left there in .part file name. When I restarted a download, I clicked Save As then clicked on this file, then Konqueror WON'T let me resume it.
This was the reason why I couldn't resume download.
To resume download, I had to enter/select the file file name WITHOUT the .part extension then the option of RESUME will be offered for selection.
:!:
That made a world of difference! :)
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.