View Full Version : point to add to Remastering HowTo ?
Alexxx
02-23-2004, 10:06 AM
I saw a lack of info on an important point: how to customize your KDE desktop, menus, etc:
is it true that it should suffice to:
- boot knoppix at runlevel 3
- go to your /mnt/hda1/knx/source/KNOPPIX directory and chroot there
- launch X (startx maybe?)
- modify menus etc
???
I ask because it's a mess in KDE (and it's years I use it!) to find where menu stuff lies. This way you should just use Kmenueditor, with the added benefit that you can also modify any desktop related stuff (background, screensaver) and when you leave chroot it stays there, ready to be burned.
Or am I missing something?
Thanks for any info
Alessandro
arkaine23
02-23-2004, 08:27 PM
Nope, sadly it's more complicated then that. For one thing, you have to create /home/knoppix if you boot in run level 2 or 3. You do this by copying the contents of /etc/skel, chowning and chmodding them.
Then you need to create a ~/.xinitrc file so you can start kde.
Then in kde, you can tweak the menu's and settings. Then you should remove the contents of /etc/skel, and replace them with the contents of /home/knoppix. Then you need to chmod and chown them back the way they were origincally, and delete the /home/knoppix you created.
Now however, when you hdd-install from the remastered CD, things will work great. When you run live from it there will still be various problems that need to be corrected in /usr/share/applnk (system-wide kmenu configs) and in /var/lib/kde/menu (kicker icons).
I think getting the kmenu and kicker just right are probably the most frustrating tasks in reasmtering a knoppix CD.
Alexxx
02-24-2004, 09:42 AM
> Nope, sadly it's more complicated then that....
correct me if I understood you wrong, but this is just if you want the configuration to work for user knoppix, right? While if you do it while being root things are much easier?
I ask because I find that one of the many wonderful things of Knoppix seem to be that you can work as root without any fear - so I'd like to remaster a CD to use exclusively as root - what do you think?
alessandro
arkaine23
02-24-2004, 08:02 PM
By replacing the contents of /etc/skel, you affect the settings all users who do not already have individual home directories. It would be easy enough to to all the KDE editing as root. BVut you'd need to alter the startup scripts so that when your modified knoppix boots, it launches KDE as root instead of as knoppix.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2 Copyright © 2026 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.