PDA

View Full Version : Restoring default X behavior



raydj
03-18-2004, 07:17 PM
After remastering and updating a few times, I've lost the default behavior of starting X as user knoppix without asking for password. Now it starts kdm or xdm (depending of which one I select), but it sticks in the login screen, and, as there is no password, it won't let me login.

I could kill it and start another X server, but I want it to go as straight as possible to a usable system, because I can cope with this trouble, but many of the people that will be using it won' be able to fix it.

Thanks in advance.

raydj
03-20-2004, 06:49 AM
I've made a few advances... I've renamed /etc/init.d/S99xdm to K99xdm and S99kdm to S99xdm. Then I made a symlink to /etc/init.d/xsession named S99xsession.

It is the script that knoppix executes at the end of runlevel 5 when booting from cd. The problem now is, I only get a background and the pointer, then it stops, starts again, stops again, and suggests me to 'check it and try again'

The problem is, I don't know where to check! There's nothing in the logs of interest, only three warnings unrelated to this.

Any ideas?

raydj
03-22-2004, 01:36 PM
Can anyone please point me to where do I have to look to solve this? Config files, symlinks, etc... I don't now where else to look!!!

raydj
03-23-2004, 03:00 PM
So it seems that I'll have to start over from a new, fresh Knoppix and update it and remove all the stuff I don't need and so :P