PDA

View Full Version : remastering a boot cd



slacker
03-22-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi

I do not use knoppix - yet. I think i did the d/l , to big.
Anyway, i'm trying to make a linux boot disk. nice and simple--- and remaster it too.

This is what i have so far.
I used a image from someplace? and it boots, but no hard drive access.
So i decided to make a 622M partition, and try to use that.

Can I ---
you can probably just make a hard drive partition
600 megs and copy it over directly
umount /dev/hda4
dd if=/dev/hda4 of=/tmp/Image.raw
Now just take Image.raw and burn it to your cdr

can this work ? I'll try , but i'm at 3 platters and counting, and i do NOT buy cheap cdr.

any help would be super.// . uber super

cherry
03-22-2004, 06:57 PM
slacker,

is the image written on a cd?
if yes, just follow instructions given at foll link


http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto

i'm sure u ll get it

good luck

slacker
03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
nope not on a cd..

i think i'm running that partition RIGHT NOW,.

i'm telling you , this is so sweet.
it is a 666M partition,
/dev/sda4 629744 615512 0 100% /

comes up as sda4 but it is really hda1 ?, a grub thing i guess.

i would like to burn this partition over to a cdr ,
get it.... it is a 666M bootable HD partition -> 700M bootable cdr

that, right there, guys, was a very easy install.... right up to a fully config'd system. very nice.

i'll try , i feel very close.

dd if=/dev/hda4 of=/tmp/Image.raw

this command takes a partition, and creates a image ..

what about using liso .... that might be the exact right thing.

thanks

i'll try reading some more....
i would like to keep it simple.

How do you feel about this idea of using a 600-700M partition to work from ?