PDA

View Full Version : Simple configuration problems?



brianinmaine
04-07-2004, 06:00 AM
I would like to remaster a simple one with the background I want, task bar size and icons, even the clock type or whatever. Where do I look to change this stuff? I would like to put these config files into my .../sources/..., but I can't find what to edit!

AP
04-07-2004, 06:05 AM
Here's what I would do: follow everything like normal and then find a way to boot into this remastered cd, such as configuring grub or lilo or something.

Now, I'm not sure, but once that's done you get into your new "source" knoppix (without the knoppix cd) and then change stuff there. Since it's a harddisk and not a cd it will save all your preferences and stuff. And then it would be just like remastering a cd as told in the instructions at http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/KnoppixRemasteringHowto .

I've never done this (yet) though, so tell me how it turns out.

brianinmaine
04-07-2004, 07:28 AM
I don't get what your saying.. You think I should do a HD install and make a CD from that? I don't think I could do this (yet ;) - I have too much to learn still to try and change the instructions, I think. Do you know the commands to type for this?
Thanks so far, but do you have any other suggestions?

AP
04-08-2004, 06:48 AM
no, i'm saying that by following the remastering instructions you are essentially copying a kernel and all over, so boot that kernel and then customize your desktop

(so yes essentially you are doing a hd install to *some* extent, but just by following the customizing instructions)

darthczyz
04-09-2004, 06:52 PM
i actually have a similar problem and was wondering if i could do the same thing. anybody have a sample grub.conf of how to boot from a knoppix kernel? sorry to sound like a noob, but i have tried a few configurations on this with no success

cintra
04-10-2004, 11:19 AM
Here's a copy of my grub.conf.old

root (hd0,5)
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) /boot/grub/stage2 0x8000 (hd0,5)/boot/grub/menu.lst
quit

regards

PS sorry you might have been after something else...