PDA

View Full Version : Final answer: Does it work to remaster from a "HD insta



gazelle
04-11-2004, 01:49 AM
I've seen a lot of postings on this group - some pro, some con.
I want the final answer. Note: I'm not looking (at least at this time) for a "how-to" - just a yes/no.

So, is it possible to take a hard disk installed version of Knoppix, and convert it (back) to a CD image? (This is, after having booted from a CD, then mounting the drive with the HD install - I understand, of course, that you cannot convert the running system to a CD image)

Is this equivalent to the "standard" method of building it all up in a chroot, and then converting that to a CD image?

OErjan
04-11-2004, 10:30 AM
the diference should not be that noticeable between chroot an a hddintall. the chroot makes that install the one used so... it should work. i have done lfs that way. and it transfered to CD so... (no great distro but interesting xperiment).

rickenbacherus
04-12-2004, 12:11 AM
I've seen a lot of postings on this group - some pro, some con.
I want the final answer. Note: I'm not looking (at least at this time) for a "how-to" - just a yes/no.

So, is it possible to take a hard disk installed version of Knoppix, and convert it (back) to a CD image? (This is, after having booted from a CD, then mounting the drive with the HD install - I understand, of course, that you cannot convert the running system to a CD image)

Is this equivalent to the "standard" method of building it all up in a chroot, and then converting that to a CD image?

Of course it is. I actually boot directly into my remaster. Phooey on all the chroot nonsense especially if you want to tweak the GUI. You avoid all sorts of problems by booting into your remaster.

Boot Knoppix

Copy everything in KNOPPIX (not KNOPPIX itself) to a mounted partition

cp -a * /mnt/hda5

You should have a complete filesystem on /mnt/hda5 like so:

bin cdrom etc home lib mnt proc sbin tmp var
boot dev floppy initrd lost+found opt root sys usr vmlinuz

then add a line to your boot loader like so:

title remaster
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz rw root=/dev/hda5 hdb=scsi apm=power-off nomce vga=791 lang=us

voila!

gazelle
04-12-2004, 01:58 PM
I've seen a lot of postings on this group - some pro, some con.
I want the final answer. Note: I'm not looking (at least at this time) for a "how-to" - just a yes/no.

So, is it possible to take a hard disk installed version of Knoppix, and convert it (back) to a CD image? (This is, after having booted from a CD, then mounting the drive with the HD install - I understand, of course, that you cannot convert the running system to a CD image)

Is this equivalent to the "standard" method of building it all up in a chroot, and then converting that to a CD image?

Of course it is. I actually boot directly into my remaster. Phooey on all the chroot nonsense especially if you want to tweak the GUI. You avoid all sorts of problems by booting into your remaster.

Boot Knoppix

Copy everything in KNOPPIX (not KNOPPIX itself) to a mounted partition

cp -a * /mnt/hda5



I think you've answered the question: How do I install it to a hard disk? (To which question, my answer is: run knx-hdinstall and follow the prompts.

I was asking the opposite question (putting the toothpaste back in the tube): Can I convert a hd install back into a CD image?

Anyway, the other day I tried this. I booted up on a CD, then did:

mount /mnt/hda1 (a spare FAT partition)
mount /mnt/hda6 (an ext2 partition with a working KNOPPIX)

mkisofs -R -U -V ... /mnt/hda6 | create_compressed_fs - 65536 > /mnt/hda1/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX

It ran for about an hour, and created a 1.1G file.

I then umounted everything, shut down, booted a KNOPPIX boot floppy, and it got as far as un-cloop-ing and mounting the new image, but then complained that / was not a directory (or something close to that) and that "e2fsck" could not run (it was as if it thought the newly un-cloop-ed file system was "unclean" - that is, needed to be fsck'd).

So, where to go from here?

yogb21
04-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Hey Buddy ,If U dont mind try this Procedure
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9647&highlight=

rickenbacherus
04-12-2004, 02:55 PM
I think you've answered the question: How do I install it to a hard disk? (To which question, my answer is: run knx-hdinstall and follow the prompts.

I think you need to re-read what I posted. This was not a how to for installation and no where did I mention using knx-hdinstall. This is a how to for setting up a remastering environment that you can boot directly into, tweak and recompress Knoppix. If your image failed to boot then perhaps you should retrace your steps. It is not the easiest thing in the world to do and may take a few tries. It works for me and takes all of 20 minutes to get set up and working.

gazelle
04-13-2004, 05:37 AM
I think you've answered the question: How do I install it to a hard disk? (To which question, my answer is: run knx-hdinstall and follow the prompts.

I think you need to re-read what I posted. This was not a how to for installation and no where did I mention using knx-hdinstall. This is a how to for setting up a remastering environment that you can boot directly into, tweak and recompress Knoppix. If your image failed to boot then perhaps you should retrace your steps. It is not the easiest thing in the world to do and may take a few tries. It works for me and takes all of 20 minutes to get set up and working.

Well, OK. Anyway, I've given up on this method and gone back to (some variation of) the "chroot" method. I got it working.

For whatever it is worth, the error message I was getting was the same as in the thread "Problems while booting customized Knoppix". The problem seems to be in the /etc/fstab file (since that file will have / associated with a hard disk device [e.g., /dev/hda6], and this won't be correct in CD boot environment.

So, just out of curiosity (and it is curiosity at this point), when you remaster from your hard disk installation, what do you put in the fstab file?

rickenbacherus
04-13-2004, 01:21 PM
Just copy the fstab from the live cd. ;)

OErjan
04-13-2004, 08:10 PM
i would mount the image (from a running knoppix) and do just as said above.
OR edit the images /etc/fstab manually.