-
USB stick problem
Knoppix hangs with some USB stick memories
It has been checked with 2 versions of Knoppix (3.4 and one of erlier) and 2 different PCs.
We checked 3 different memory sticks. All of them worked fine on Win2000 (machine different than those running Koppix, but I assume it makes no difference).
One memory stick (USB 1.1) worked without problems. A new dir is created in /mnt, we didn't try any transfers.
One (USB 2.0) is identified, but Knoppix hangs after about 60secs after the stick is inserted. No new dir created in /mnt. lsusb lists the device.
One (unknown USB version, but most probably 1.1 as it is quite old) hangs after about 2 minutes. No new dir created in /mnt, system slowed down noticeably.
Knoppix never makes any output before hanging, it just freezes. Hardware reset is neccessary.
Has anyone experienced such behaviour?
Is there any way out of it?
-
Maybe try booting with the
nousb
option.
Then.. get usb support manually.
knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo su
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe usb-uhci
root@ttyp0[knoppix]#
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# modprobe usb-storage
root@ttyp0[knoppix]# cd /mnt
root@ttyp0[mnt]# ls
auto cdrom floppy hd hda1 hda3 hda4 hda5 hda6 pts sys test
root@ttyp0[mnt]# mkdir sda1
root@ttyp0[mnt]# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1
root@ttyp0[mnt]# cd /mnt/sda1
root@ttyp0[sda1]# ls
BitDefender Free Edition fastfat.sys
Downloads grub.conf
Extra Software knoppix.img
HDGrubInstall.doc knoppix.sh
KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-03-2004.iso.torrent ntfs.sys
bootex.log ntoskrnl.exe
cdfs.sys setiathome
cheatsheet.html slackware-9.1-install-d1.torrent
configs.tbz slackware-9.1-install-d2.torrent
...etc...
root@ttyp0[sda1]#
Just an idea.
(p.s. I'm still learning how to use linux. I google a lot)
My toshiba Satellite's usb controller has some issues with the 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.
Works ok on my desktops though.
-
After all I managed Knoppix to accept the stick.
The problem was obviously in the filesystem.
I didn't bother investigating much - I just found a post somwhere on the Internet saying that sticks can be formatted in some 'superfloppy' standard and that Linux may have problems with that.
I had to use another distribution (SLAX) to repartition the stick. It had to be formatted afterwards. Then it worked well both under Windows and Linux.
It is just a pity that Knoppix hangs completely. SLAX just said it could not be mounted, but allowed partitioning with 'fdisk'.