-
Knoppix and LVM
Hi!
I have two wishes concerning LVM support that would make Knoppix much more useful as a recovery CD:
*) LVM's vgscan requires some space in /etc to create lvmtab and lvmtab.d.
Currently there is not enough space avaliable to create those files.
Therefore I have to use the following procedure to move /etc to the ramdisk:
cp -a /etc /ramdisk
mount --bind /ramdisk/etc /etc
vgscan
If /etc had some free space avaliable, this procedure would be easier as the first two
steps could be skipped.
*) LVM2 support in addition to LVM1 would be great for the 2.6 kernel!
(especially as Fedora Core 2 includes LVM2!)
Cheers,
--leo
-
How many volume groups and volumes do you have?
I've run vgscan; vgchange -ay many times to bring up LVM on a KNOPPIX session. No problems. I have about 2MB free under /etc/, perhaps you could use a creative mount --bind /tmp/.root/lvmtab.d /etc/lvmtab.d or something like that? Perhaps vgscan would follow an /etc/lvmtab symlink to a larger ramdisk or perhaps you could adjust the size of etc's RAM disk.
The lack of LVM support under 2.6, on the other hand, has me a bit irritated!
Oh well, 2.4 is a good enough kernel for now. :)
-
In the meantime you can get LVM2 to run on the current Knoppix 3.4 by following this:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12398