How do you change the timeout time in the linux/debian bootloader. Now it is set for 3 seconds and that is not enough time.
Is it this 'edit or kedit /etc/lilo.conf' ?
Is this run from the shell console?
Printable View
How do you change the timeout time in the linux/debian bootloader. Now it is set for 3 seconds and that is not enough time.
Is it this 'edit or kedit /etc/lilo.conf' ?
Is this run from the shell console?
run "kedit /etc/lilo.conf" from a shell. This will open up a graphical editor and will open the file "/etc/lilo.conf" for editing.Quote:
Originally Posted by rrfish72
edit: but you don't have to use kedit. You can use any text editor of your choosing.
You need to be root for this. Open a shell/terminal and do:
Code:kdesu kedit /etc/lilo.conf (type in root passwd, make the changes and save&quit)
su (to become root)
lilo -v (to run lilo, needs to be done or it won't boot)
ctrl-d (to exit from superuser mode)
Still cannot get that to work. Gives me an error message about application*.
This is what I get 'MUTEX DESTRIY FAILUE: DEVICE OR RESOURCE BUSY'
And an error box that says 'Command 'Kedit' not found'.
I can see the lilo.conf file but I can't open to edit. How do I edit the file??
kedit is not present in Knoppix 3.4
Try kwrite instead . . .
Sorry for the wrong info. As said, any editor present on the system will do.
I used emacs and that worked. Also got in with vi.
I still cannot get the timeout to change. I changed the delay to 1000 and still nothing. I did lilo -v after edit and no results. Any Ideas?
You need to change the timeout instead. This will give you a 5 sec timeout:
Quote:
# Specifies the number of _tenths_ of a second LILO should
# wait before booting the first image. LILO
# doesn't wait if DELAY is omitted or if DELAY is set to zero.
delay=20
# Prompt to use certaing image. If prompt is specified without timeout,
# boot will not take place unless you hit RETURN
prompt
timeout=50
If you comment out timeout (see below) boot will not take place until you hit Enter.
Quote:
# Specifies the number of _tenths_ of a second LILO should
# wait before booting the first image. LILO
# doesn't wait if DELAY is omitted or if DELAY is set to zero.
delay=20
# Prompt to use certaing image. If prompt is specified without timeout,
# boot will not take place unless you hit RETURN
prompt
# timeout=50