lilo not writing to /mnt/hda
I'm trying to install Knoppix to a partition on my second HD. But, I can't get lilo to write to the mbr of my 1st hd. I suppose that it is writing to the mbr of the 2nd hd instead. But, I'm just speculating about that.
So, I tried creating a boot floppy from within Windows. Yet this does not work. I tried editing the lilo.conf file where knoppix is installed from knoppix running from CD. But, I have write permission problems and cannot make changes.
Any suggestions?
Darren
lilo not writing to /mnt/hda
Quote:
That should be no problem. You said 'trying' so have you succeeded or not?
I say "trying" because I've not been able to boot to knoppix from the HD. But, all files seem to copy to the partition I'm installing it to.
Quote:
Since you don't tell us how you are trying to install LILO we don't have much to go on. During the install process it should prompt you about installing LILO to the root directory, the MBR or a floppy.
I'm trying to install lilo as part of the knx-hdinstall script. At the end of installation, you are asked to install lilo.
Here's a little more detail regarding the steps I've taken. I started out following a little howto I found at http://www.freenet.org.nz/misc/knoppix-install.html. However, knx-hdinstall kept popping up German dialogue. So, I searched this forum and found a link to http://www.itm.tu-clausthal.de/~perle/knx/ where there was an English version of knx-hdinstall. I'm running it from a terminal window in KDE. I'm guessing that's OK. The script seems to run fine.
I've tried to install twice. The first time I was offered the opportunity to create a boot floppy. I declined to do so, but wished I had. So, I accepted that and tried to install again and create a floppy. This time, it won't boot from the HD or from the floppy. It tries to boot from the floppy. But, then it hangs. I don't recall at what point or the exact error (I wasn't planning on getting help with that). I just figured that the floppy was bad. I was going to give it another try with a different floppy. But, I wanted to see if there was anything that I could do to improve my chances of getting lilo on the mbr before I spent any more time on it.
Is that too much info??
Darren
lilo not writing to /mnt/hda
Thanks for all of the detailed suggestions.
This is going on my second HD. And, I am dual booting. I already have the partitions created, as well.
I just finished trying to get the "work around" for the German dialogue boxes. But, the link seems to be down at the moment. So, I'll have to wait. I don't know why I'm getting German language there but everything else is English. Oh well, I'll get tomorrow.
Quote:
Here's the important part- Install LILO to the MBR.
That's the odd part. I thought I did (twice).
Do you know of a way that I could edit the lilo.conf file on the Knoppix install? I tried sudo vi /mnt/hdb5/lilo.conf. But, I can only open it in "read only". If I could figure out a way to edit it, I'd be set.
Thanks
Darren
lilo not writing to /mnt/hda
Thanks.
Quote:
You can use vi if you like- I just think Midnight Commander (mc)is much friendlier and easier to understand.
But, my problem isn't using vi. I can get around in vi quite well. It's that as a knoppix user, I don't have permission. I'm having a problem saving changes.
Darren