Finding individual packages
I have installed to harddrive. I am wanting to switch sound to Alsa, but apt-get doesn't find the alsa modules for the kernel from Knoppix 3.1 (2.4.20-xfs). If the modules are available, can someone point to the site? If I should have to compile, where do I find the headers for this kernel? Apt-get doesn't find them, either.
Re: Been there, done that.
--Actually he gave you the right info. I did a quick apt-cache search for alsa and nothing blatantly leaped out as an easy solution. The Knoppix kernel is definitely a one-off version. If you're not able to figure out how to get the .deb-provided stuff working, looks like you'll have to manually DL the alsa files (from http://www.alsa-project.org/ ) and compile from source.
--Personally I can live w/o sound under Linux, but I'm in the same boat - if I wanted sound on my Trident onboard card I'd have to do the same thing.
PS - I just went to the linuxtag website, and it looks like they're DELETED the English forum ENTIRELY - including the archive! I've sent off an angry email to Friedemann and Klaus. Will have to reboot into KPX and (thankfully) I've archived all the posts I made on that forum. BRB
--More ALSA resources:
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/...lsa-sound.html
--Here's the exact article you need:
http://www.linuxorbit.com/modules.ph...tid=541&page=1
Quote:
Originally Posted by softedges
Having searched every official and unofficial debian mirror I know of, there are NO alsa modules matching the 2.4.20-xfs kernel that comes with Knoppix. Please note that I also said I couldn't find the kernel headers for 2.4.20-xfs. Nowhere do I find a Debian offering for that kernel, so I thought maybe someone from Knoppix could tell me whence came this apparently non-Debian kernel.
Care to try again?