ide-scsi problems, can't boot?
Hello all,
I just downloaded Knoppix 3.2 and tried to run it, however when I try to I end up getting about 20 messages saying:
Quote:
ide-scsi: Strange, packet command initiated yet DRQ isn't asserted
then right after those:
Can't find Knoppix filesystem, sorry. Dropping you to a (very limited) shell. Press reset to quit.
I also had this problem running Knoppix KDE and something similar trying to run Gentoo 1.4_RC3 so I'm pretty sure it isn't a software issue. I also am pretty sure that it has something to do with either my DVD drive or my CDRW or both. I used to be able to boot off them with no problem, but the only thing I can think of that I have changed is buying a new HD because my old one died. However, since Knoppix doesn't need a HD, I don't see why it isn't working if it had something to do with that. I also tried detatching just the HD cables and that didn't work. I tried only one of my two bootable drives (the DVD or CDRW) and neither of them worked. On top of that, Gentoo 1.2 install no longer works; this install worked approximately 3-4 months ago though. I'm really not sure what I'm looking for here or how to get detailed info on what's wrong. I would greatly appreciate some help.
Here are some specs:
800Mhz Duron Processor*
468MB RAM*
hda: 80GB WD
hdb: 40GB Maxtor*
hdc: Generic DVD Drive*
hdd: Lite-On 32x12x40*
*All of these were still there at a time that I know I had no problems booting off of any CD (SuSE LiveCD, Knoppix 3.1, Gentoo Installs, etc.)
Anyone have ideas or need more info?
Re: ide-scsi problems, can't boot?
Quote:
locri
I also had this problem running Knoppix KDE and something similar trying to run Gentoo 1.4_RC3 so I'm pretty sure it isn't a software issue. I also am pretty sure that it has something to do with either my DVD drive or my CDRW or both. I used to be able to boot off them with no problem, but the only thing I can think of that I have changed is buying a new HD because my old one died. However, since Knoppix doesn't need a HD, I don't see why it isn't working if it had something to do with that. I also tried detatching just the HD cables and that didn't work. I tried only one of my two bootable drives (the DVD or CDRW) and neither of them worked. On top of that, Gentoo 1.2 install no longer works; this install worked approximately 3-4 months ago though.
Here are a few wild guesses low and to the outside -
Can you boot from the floppy?
I assume you've checked your cables but have you looked at all of the pins they are connected to? It really isn't too hard to bend one.
Have you tried to reinstall an OS to a hard drive?
Quote:
*All of these were still there at a time that I know I had no problems booting off of any CD (SuSE LiveCD, Knoppix 3.1, Gentoo Installs, etc.)
Anyone have ideas or need more info?
I agree it sounds like a hardware issue. Do you have cables you can swap? -tear the system down to bare minimum and try to get an OS installed.