Question about dd-rescue (sorry, this may be a re-post...)
Hi,
Does anyone know what dd-rescue does with the "holes" -- i.e. does it fill them with junk and preserve the offset of the readable data that follows?
Basically, I'm using Knoppix to rescue my wife's damaged NTFS partition. Her operating system won't even boot, but I'm able to view the files with Knoppix and copy them to another system over a network or just burn them directly with k3b.
However -- some of the files can't be read (I/O errors -- presumably why her operating system can't mount the partition). More specifically -- _parts_ of those files can't be read. I would like to try to retrieve these files anyway. What I want to do is, for each file, to wind up with a file of the same length, along with any data that could be copied from the damaged file in its right offset. Granted, there would be "holes" in each file, for the parts that couldn't be read. But I don't think it would do me much good if the "holes" were dropped -- because then the offset would be wrong from anything after the first hole.
Are there any other tools I should look at?
Thanks,
Yonatan
Note: This may be a re-post; I fogot to enter a subject the 1st time and couldn't find my post on the forum.
Question about dd "ignerror" mode
Yes, it's right there in the dd man page:
ignerror Do not stop processing on an error at all. Unlike
noerror, the read errors are skipped over if possible, by
using lseek64(2), (if possible) and there is no limit on
the number of errors. It is recommended that either ibs
or bs be used, and set to the minimum size for the input
device, in order to minimize the skipped data. This can
sometimes allow disk drives to be copied even if they
contain unreadable blocks, although the output copy will
of course have blocks of missing (zero-filled) data.
The quetion is, what number do I specify for bs for a hard drive (i.e. how do I know what the minimum size)?