HELP. trying to fsck or fdisk the hardrive. zero-length. I/O
i have a dying hardrive on an ibm laptop that i wish to get data off. it has redhat linux on it and will not boot of the hdd.
so i turned to knoppix, made the cd, and booted off the cd. it managed to boot in
knoppix 2
my problem is finding out the proper partition and fixing it.
but every fdisk or fsck command i give returns an i/o error as follows:
for a list of partitions on device hda
>fdisk -l /dev/hda
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
and fsck partition hda1
>fsck /dev/hda1
fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 0
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 4
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:01 (hda), sector 6
fsck.ext2: Attempt to read block from filesystem resulted in short read while trying to open /dev/hda1
Could this be a zero-length partition?
i believe the /etc/fstab is incorrect, it follows:
/proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs noauto 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts mode=0622 0 0
/dev/fd0 /mnt/auto/floppy auto user,noauto,exec,umask-000 0 0
/dev/cdrom /mnt/auto/cdrom auto user, noauto,exec,ro 0 0
*Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 ext2 noauto, users, exec 0 0
*Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda5 /mnt/hda5 auto noauto, users, exec 0 0
*Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda6 /mnt/hda6 auto noauto, users, exec 0 0
*Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda7 /mnt/hda7 auto noauto, users, exec 0 0
*Added by KNOPPIX
/dev/hda8 /mnt/hda8 auto noauto, users, exec 0 0
how can knoppix even run without access to a hdd. it must have space, no. where is root mounted?
how can i find out the proper partition and fix the %$$££bugger?
Re: HELP. trying to fsck or fdisk the hardrive. zero-length.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdd_messed
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
This is often seen when DMA is not supported, try the cheatcode nodma.
Quote:
how can knoppix even run without access to a hdd. it must have space, no. where is root mounted?
It makes a ramdisk out of your RAM and uncompresses there what it needs.
Re: HELP. trying to fsck or fdisk the hardrive. zero-length.
[quote="Markus"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdd_messed
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:00 (hda), sector 0
This is often seen when DMA is not supported, try the cheatcode nodma.
thanks for the info. on nodma and ramdisk
now i get no hda entries in /etc/fstab
fdisk -l /dev/hda
returns nothing
it is not possible to run fsck on /dev/hda1. there is not device at that address.
what is the next step for adding devices.