Originally Posted by bob58
Yes I agree and thats part of my troubles.....I still have difficulty trying to focus on where programs actually are. For example in WINBLOWS, most of the time when you install a program, they end up in the "Program Files" folder.....But I still am confused where Linux stores them. Especially if I down load a .tar file. I just download it into a folder that i create in my /mnt/hda3 which is a separate partition for extra storage. So the installed program, I assume stays there. If you download a .tar file, where would you dowload it to? I see you say /usr/bin for example. So like with gwenview, once it was installed, I clicked on the executable file and make a link to desktop, but the link icon is that blue gear which represents executable files! And If I try to change it, say to a camera icon, then it changes ALL the executables everywhere into camera icons!!! I suppose I could create my own file extension then i wouldnt have to worry about this. In Knoppix you are not given the option to "change icon".