knoppix... gateway or router?
Hi there, I have a network at home, and I use a cable connection to access the internet. I have one computer that's running knoppix right now, and it has 3 nics on it.
cable modem---(eth2)---|Knoppix|---(eth0)---[uplink on router 1 (ovislink)]
--------------------------------| box |---(eth1)---[uplink on router 2 (dlink)]
I have 2 routers/hubs that have 1 uplink and 4 ports on them, (1 ovislink and 1 dlink) I was wondering if I could connect the modem to one of the nics on knoppix, and have the other two nics connected to the uplink on the routers. Basically so any pc connected to the router/s could access the internet, and each other if possible...
so how would I go about accomplishing this??? I know how to do it with windows, but I don't want to use windows. Any help or comments would be appreciated.
Re: knoppix... gateway or router?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostblaze
.....I have 2 routers/hubs that have 1 uplink and 4 ports on them, (1 ovislink and 1 dlink).....
First of all, routers are not hubs. Home DSL/Cable routers like the Dlink usually contain switches (although Linksys did make a one port home "router"), but there are important differences between switches and hubs too. So please spell out what you have, for each of the two devices, A router (with a switch built in), or a hub, or just a switch (yes, you can buy a dlink switch that doesn't have a router in it, so there is a big difference there.
Second of all, it's not clear why you spell out that your Knoppix system has multiple NICs and then you ask if you can just plug the PC into the router - it sure looked like you were about to ask if you could use the Knoppix system as a router.
If what you have are really routers with switches in them, then by all means you can use one to plug all of the computers into and access the Internet and each other that way. That's exactly what a home router is intended to do. I don't know anything about the ovislink (I like to check out all of the different home routers I can find, but never came across this one before), but I like the Dlink and it will certainly do the job. (After you get that working then you can swap in the other router and contrast the differences. There certainly will be some.) Plug only one of the NICs from the Knoppix system into the router, not all 3! And if you can figure out which one Knoppix thinks is eth0 when it boots, I would suggest using that one.
As to what you have to do, for accessing the Internet, here goes:
Plug the stuff together. Boot Knoppix (I'm assuming you're booting from CD). Use the browser that comes up when Knoppix boots (or another browser) to access the Internet. It's that easy. The router takes care of all connecting to the Internet issues, passwords and PPPoE if you're on DSL and the like. It gives your Knoppix system a local IP address by DHCP (just as it would if you had booted Windows). About the only thing you should have to do is basic setup of the router (if it isn't already set up and if it needs stuff like an ISP username and password). That's done by browsing to the IP address in the router manual (usually 192.168.something.1) And you might have to figure out which NIC Knoppix favors. I expect Knoppix might figure out which one is active, but I don't know, I've never booted Knoppix on a system with 3 NICS.
As for sharing files with the other computers on your local network, read over the other posts in this forum. It's been discussed many times.
If neither of the devices that you have are really routers but indeed are hubs or switches, then it's an entirely different issue. You likely can't just connect a hub or switch to your ethernet internet modem, but there are a few cases where you might get away with it. We would need details on the type of service and the make and model of modem to give you more information. But I'm hoping and expecting that will not be needed.
Re: knoppix... gateway or router?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostblaze
... if I could connect the modem to one of the nics on knoppix, and have the other two nics connected to the uplink on the routers. ....
If you have a home router, don't try doing it this way, just pick one of the routers and hook it to the cable modem and hook each PC to a port on the router.
If you end up with more than 4 computers, then you need to add a switch or hub to the system Some home cable routers let you disable the DHCP server and NAT routing and just use them as switches, some don't. You would need to look into what configuration options there are for each device. If you can't disable the router in either device you might still be able to use one to create a seperate sub-network with it's own NAT going on, but it would be ugly (although maybe no more ugly than trying to use Knoppix as a router). Best would be to add a switch. But you don't seem to have that many computers that need to be on the network at once yet.