I have been struggling to get a connection through my Linksys PCMCIA WiFi card everytime I boot. I think that what causes the problem is the need to set up the ESSID and/or WEP for my WiFi router.
Problem description:
1. I boot with the command knoppix myconfig=scan
2. While loading from the CD the PCMCIA card gives an error message:
I would expect it to fail since the ESSID/WEP information is missing.Quote:
cardmgr[90]: + ./sbin/pump -i eth0 >/dev/null
cardmgr[90]: + Operation failed
cardmgr[90]: start cmd exited with status 1
3. The boot process continues normally until after loading the personal parameters where I get the following error message when trying to reload the wireless card configuration:
Solution:Quote:
cardmgr[567]: open_sock(socket 0) failed: device or resource busy
After reviewing the information in the forums and checking into the scripts I discovered that the pump demon keeps running after failing during the boot process. This makes the cardmgr fail again while loading the personal configuration.
By issuing the following sequence of commands order is restored:
One possible solution would be to modify the knoppix.sh script to check if pump is still running before killall cardmgr. I'm not sure how would that work if you have 2 different network connections (ie: eth0 and eth1). Maybe some of the Knoppix gurus can look into it? It is the same in Knoppix 3.4 and 3.6.Quote:
su
pump -k
cardmgr
Thank you to all of you that took your time to describe your problems, solutions, etc. They provided with the info I needed to diagnose and solve my problem.
G
