whats the advantage of the 2.6 kernel?
I currently have knoppix 3.6 on hda and xandros on hdb. Because I let xandros control the boot sequence via lilo, it only gives me one choice of kernel boot. it is currently booting into 2.4.27 kernel. I have not yet installed the 3d drivers for my new nvidia fx 5500 and before I do, I want to know if there is any real difference between the two offered kernels in knoppix 3.6. Currently, I have everything working with the 2.4 kernel, but I am a practitioner of "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" philosophy. Is there any real advantage to the 2.6 kernel? AND...any little secrets I might need to know about when I do this nvidia driver install?
thanx
helios
Re: whats the advantage of the 2.6 kernel?
Quote:
Originally Posted by helios17
I currently have knoppix 3.6 on hda and xandros on hdb. Because I let xandros control the boot sequence via lilo, it only gives me one choice of kernel boot. it is currently booting into 2.4.27 kernel.
You can add another section for the 2.6 kernel in lilo.conf and run lilo to update it.
Quote:
I have not yet installed the 3d drivers for my new nvidia fx 5500 and before I do, I want to know if there is any real difference between the two offered kernels in knoppix 3.6.
Some people say 2.6 is faster but I haven't noticed anything. 2.6 has some newer hardware support if you need it.
Quote:
Currently, I have everything working with the 2.4 kernel, but I am a practitioner of "If it aint broke, fix it until it is" philosophy. Is there any real advantage to the 2.6 kernel? AND...any little secrets I might need to know about when I do this nvidia driver install?
Don't use nvidia myself, but you have to do something like this: http://www.desktop-linux.net/debkernel.htm or just search this forum for nvidia.
The point of adding the other kernel to lilo is that you should always have one kernel that works if you mess the other one up. Not that important when you can chroot from the knoppix cd though.
EDIT: And again a slow post by me :(